Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop PC 15s-fq2000 (2D119AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my power settings are set to " when lid is closed, sleep" and when i close the lid either with or without the charger, it does NOT sleep. Went to school today and laptop had not been sleeping while it was in its case traveling with me. It almost overheated and the battery had drained some. 

This is begining to drive me crazy.

thansk

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

ok,. new information. even when i try to go to windows>power>sleep to manually put it to sleep. it does not. the screen goes black, but nothing else happens. it does not sleep at all. I know its not alseep because the power led stays a constant lit, rather than a slow on off 

HP Recommended

Hi@LT72884, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I suggest you follow the below steps and ensure you change the settings for both - "On battery" and "Plugged in" to make this work:

1. Open the Control Panel in Large icons view. Click Power Options.
  2. Click the “Choose what closing the lid does” link in the left side panel.
  3. If the options are grayed out, you have to click the “Change settings that are currently unavailable” link at the top.
  4. Open the drop-down list next to the “When I close the lid” option. Select “Do nothing” under both “On battery” and “Plugged in“.
  5. Click Save changes. Now, when you close the laptop lid, Windows will still keep running, without losing any unsaved work or suspending your downloads.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

not sure if you replied to the wrong post, but i dont need help with it staying awake..

If you read my OP, youll see that i said "when i close the lid either with or without the charger, it does NOT sleep"

i WANT it to sleep, not stay awake. If you continue to read  my post, i state "it almost overheated" because it did NOT sleep:)

continuing with reading the post i state "even when i try to go to windows>power>sleep to manually put it to sleep. it does not. the screen goes black, but nothing else happens. it does not sleep at all." 

the laptop, no matter what i do does not sleep. i want it to sleep. All power options are set to sleep with lid closed, but it will not sleep. i need it to sleep:)

thanks

HP Recommended

Please follow the below steps: 

Please follow the below steps to keep the laptop working even when you close the lid:

1. Open Run and type powercfg.cpl and press Enter. This will open the Power Options applet of the Control Panel.

2. In the Power Option window that opens up, click ‘Choose what closing the lid does’ link from the left side panel.

3. Choose what closing the laptop lid does. Under Power button and lid settings section you can find ‘When I Close the Lid’ option.

4. You can choose from Do Nothing, Sleep, Shutdown and Hibernate.

You should choose Shut down if you want to shut down Windows as soon as you close the lid. Select the desired option and click Save changes to save the settings.

If you want to keep your laptop running even with the lid closed, select Do Nothing.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked. 

2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps. 

3. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks) 

For more steps, please Click here 

HP Recommended

after performing the steps you provided, still does not work. Laptop does not sleep when i close the lid. 

the laptop will not sleep even if i hit the power button.. 

HP Recommended

Hi@LT72884,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to checked by taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.