Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my DVD player, or disc driver, refuses to eject. I restarted my laptop twice, turned it off once, and trying to open it manually with a straigtened paper clip twice. The dvd player does not always show up in My Files, but when it dd, iand i tried to tell it to eject, an error popped up. According to the device manager, my disc drive is working properly. It has refused to open for the past two hours and sometimes has trouble reading the discs. what do i do to get my played to open so i can get the disc out, and is there something i can do to make sure it does not happen again?

earlier, i was able to open it and inset the DVD, after the DVD was it, it had trouble reading it, but seemed to respond to my attempts to eject the dvd. the DVD played, and once the movie was done, the player opened. when i inserted the next DVD, the player refused to open and refused to play the movie.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Cherrycapri47

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

To better assist you - May I have the exact model name of the computer? Click here for steps on finding the information we need. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

While you respond to that, try these steps to eject the drive - 

1) In Windows, search for and open File Explorer.
2) Click on "This PC", select the icon for the disc drive that is stuck, right-click the icon, and then click Eject.

You may also refer to this document

Let me know how that goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

the disc driver rarely shows up as an icon in File Explorer, and i dont know how to find it. I treid searching, and nothing comes up. I usually only see it when it is playing a DVD. When i tried to eject earlier, it said there was an error

I have a HP 15 Notebook PC,  Product number N5Y05UA#ABA

2019-04-29 (1).png

HP Recommended

@Cherrycapri47

Try these steps -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected. 
3) Remove the Battery. 
4) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds. 
5) Plug-in the Adapter and put the Battery back into the computer. 
6) Try to turn on the computer. 

Also, try re-installing the driver - 

1) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
2) Double-click DVD/CD-ROM drives to expand the category.

3) Right-click the drive name and select Uninstall.

4) In Device Manager, click Action, select Scan for hardware changes, then wait for Windows to find and install the CD/DVD drive.

If the issue still persists, run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter - 

1) In Windows, search for and open Find and Fix Problems.
2) Under System and Security, click Find and fix problems.

3) Under Hardware and Sound, click Configure a device.

4) Click Next.
5) Windows checks for problems. If the troubleshooter detects problems, follow the instructions to fix the problem.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

the first method, turning off my computer and removing the battery, did not work. The second method also did not work, but i dont think it actually uninstalled my disc driver.I cannot figure out how to do the Find and Fic Problems thing. when i search it through Windows, it has no option for "System and Security ". When I go through the control panel, there is no option for Hardware and Sound.

Im pretty sure at this point there is something physically wrong and i am going to have to replace it, since nothing seems to be working. 

HP Recommended

Im troubleshooting throught the Control panel. It says i dont have a DVD player. Probably because i keep uninstalling it. 

HP Recommended

@Cherrycapri47

Try restarting the computer and check if that works. 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

it still says it cannot detect a DVD player, even after i restarted my computer.

HP Recommended

@Cherrycapri47

This looks like a hardware issue. 

Please Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

Thanks!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am going to buy a replacement on amazon. I have the product code. IN the manual for my laptop, it says i should use a screwdriver to push on the rear end of the drive to disconnect it from my computer. I cant get it open and i doubt removing one screw is going to help that. Does the disc tray need to be open for me to get it out of my computer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.