Neha_Priya Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

my operating system is window 8.1 nd a local unknown disk z is created by self how can i remove this

Pavellion notebook M2W72PA#ACJ
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

how can i remove local disk z in windos 8.1

5 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
13006 1222 2874
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post

my operating system is window 8.1 nd a local unknown disk z is created by self how can i remove this

Neha_Priya

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Unfortunately, you can NOT remove that "drive" while in Windows -- any attempt to do that will fail telling you that you don't have permissions to do that, and that's because Microsoft created that "drive" as a side-effect of recent Windows Updates.

I recommend the use of a third-party tool known as Minitool Partition Wizard. This is a free partitioning tool and you should download their Boot CD ISO file to a local drive.

You can obtain it from here: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Once you have this, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable CD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

Boot your PC with the media you created. You should now be able to do partition changes without problems.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Jeff_N_Kaneohe Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post

I am having a similar issue.
Win 7 Pro 64 sp-1 / Phoenix 850-065se CTO

I have an unknown partition labeled: SYSTEM EFI Z:
It arrived at 96 MB and contains 68.4 MB.
I am refused access, and referred to PROPERTIES for the SECURITY TAB to gain access, but there is NO SECURITY TAB, and both C: and D: do have SECURITY TABS available.
I was not adding/changing peripherals (as others have written).

In DISK MANAGEMENT, Right click on "100 MB HEALTHY EFI SYSTEM PARTITION" and all menu items except HELP are grayed out. Also there is no “VOLUME NAME” no “FILE SYSTEM” and “FREE SPACE” = 100MB is listed at 100% Free, contrary to the view at “COMPUTER.”

I think a unrequested PARTITION that has unknown origin, and unknown contents, that is inaccessible, is a serious problem.

Otherwise, everything is just fine with this HP PC.

I hope for help please.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
13006 1222 2874
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post

Jeff_N_Kaneohe

This is a partition that is evidently created as a side-effect of recent Windows Updates in Win10 -- by the Trusted Installer.

MS uses this for reasons they will not share with us.

I already posted HOW to delete it.

0 Kudos
Jeff_N_Kaneohe Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post

Dear WAWood,

Would you please  be so kind as to share a bit of information regarding your suggestions?

Regarding:

"side-effect of recent Windows Updates in Win10"

Is there a article, or knowledge base Document that discusses this point that you can please share?

I ask because:

1) Microsoft Tech Support and Support at HP have NO understanding of my specific issue, and no diagnostic or repair procedure to offer.  

2) Your response sites WIN-10 and I am running WIN-7-Pro.

Thank you!

Aloha,

Jeff_N_Kaneohe

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
13006 1222 2874
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post

The information I got about the new partition was from complaints that folks posted on various community Win10 forums regarding seeing this appear just after they had done some Cumulative Updates.  So, the consensus was that Windows Update was doing this -- since this is what all the folks had in common.

Understand that Microsoft is NOW using the same Windows Update approach with Windows 7 and 8x that they have been using with Win10.  There are articles on the community Windows forums about that.

So, it's reasonable to assume that this problem, now showing up in Win7 and Win8x, is causes by the same Windows Update processes that caused it in Win10.

And, as I said, you can remove the partition if you boot your PC from OUTSIDE Windows.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation