Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (126 Views)

my touchpad stopped working all by itself. How do i get the touchpad to work again?

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i did notice that after an automatic update, it worked for a day or so then went off again.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 5 (96 Views)

Re: my touchpad stopped working all by itself. How do i get the touchpad to work again?

@Nosyke

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP notebook and the touchpad is not working.

To assist you better, I would like to know the following information:

• Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Do you remember what update it was? Was it an update from HP or Microsoft?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to review the steps from this HP document to fix touchpad issues in Windows 10. 

You may also run a hardware test on the touchpad by following the below steps:

• Shutdown the laptop.
  • Turn on the laptop and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

• Mouse/Touchpad Tests - There are two mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test.

To run the tests, click Mouse/Touchpad. Select the test you want to run, and then click Run once. Follow the instructions to complete the test.

Hope this information helps. Let me know. Cheers! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

If you find this post helpful then you can help others find the same solution by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (55 Views)

Re: my touchpad stopped working all by itself. How do i get the touchpad to work again?

Hello MKazi. i yried to follow your instruction, but there is only the Mouse component available for seletion. the Mouse/Touchpad selection was not available, so i could not proceed further.

MKazi wrote:

@Nosyke

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP notebook and the touchpad is not working.

To assist you better, I would like to know the following information:

• Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Do you remember what update it was? Was it an update from HP or Microsoft?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to review the steps from this HP document to fix touchpad issues in Windows 10. 

You may also run a hardware test on the touchpad by following the below steps:

• Shutdown the laptop.
  • Turn on the laptop and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

• Mouse/Touchpad Tests - There are two mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test.

To run the tests, click Mouse/Touchpad. Select the test you want to run, and then click Run once. Follow the instructions to complete the test.

Hope this information helps. Let me know. Cheers! Smiley Happy

Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (54 Views)

Hello MKazi. i tried to follow your instruction, but there is only the Mouse component available for seletion. the Mouse/Touchpad selection was not available, so i could not proceed further.

HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 5 (41 Views)

@Nosyke

Thank you for replying with the results.

Please disconnect any external USB mouse (if connected) and then try to run the test.

If the option to run the touchpad test is still absent then please download and install the latest HP UEFI hardware diagnostics menu via this link. Once it is updated, you may once again try to run the touchpad test.

Hope this help. Let me know, Good luck! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

If you find this post helpful then you can help others find the same solution by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation