MaTrek Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

notebook power button doesnt work when the notebook lid is closed (i use docking station i-tec)

HP Spectre 13 x360-w001nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to use HP Spectre 13 x360-w001nc with docking station

i-tec USB C Flat

https://www.i-tec.cz/?t=3&v=437

to use in combination with 4k TV LCD and therefore I dont wont to have my HP SPECTRE WITH OPEN LID

,but in a case I switch the notebook off, and the notebook is connected to i-tec usb c flat docking station

the notebook power button on the side doesnt work  then, so I cannot switch the power on , until I open the lid of the

hp spectre. (it work only when the comp is in sleeping mode - the button blink)

Please help me where can I change this func to be able to push the power button on the hp spectre on , regardless

the lid is open or closed.

Is there any soft to change the setting so I will be able to see everythink on the second monitor (TV LCD ) and the hp spectre lid will be black ? not on also ? somethink like automatic change monitor (not both) or it is not possible and the hp spectre lid will be always on  regardless I use another extrernal lcd ?

Thanks for help and tips

4 REPLIES
happycampernot Tutor
Tutor
18 0 3
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post

notebook power button doesnt work when the notebook lid is closed (i use docking station i-tec)

Hi there,

I am having a similar issue with you but with a twist.  My sleep button does not work when it is blinking when the lid is closed.  I have received different stories from different support person; 1 saying this machine does not work that way because it is a tablet.  1 saying it is a hardward issue.  So, you sort of confirmed that my unit could be a hardware issue because at least you can wake up the laptop from sleep pressing the power button with the lid close, but not from off posistion.  Any how, here's the software solution to your video setting:

Goto "display settings" by either typing after clicking windows button or right click on desktop and select

If both monitors are on (laptop and your tv), then, you should see the option under "multiple displays".  Change the setting to "show only on 2" assuming your tv is monitor 2. 

BUT, if you are using the laptop with the lid closed, you should not see the "multiple displays" option period since the computer automatically disables the screen...    So, no need to change the setting unless you have the screen open while watching on your external tv...

By the way, can you wake up your laptop from sleep with the lid closed by using an external keyboard/mouse?  HP tech told me 2 different answers.  1; this laptop cannot do it. 2; i have a hardware issue.  I don't know what to believe as I cannot be the only person who uses the laptop to with the lid closed.

0 Kudos
MaTrek Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post

Hi ,before all thanks for reply.

I can confirm that I can easily wake up this hp spectre from sleeping mode just by clicking on the wirelless mouse/ keyboard ...the computer must be in sleep mode (power button blinking)

And what you wrote about closed lid and auto screen off seems to me logic and I hope it should be like you wrote but probably its not ,

because the hp spectre speakers are also always on and playing ,regardless I use extrernal tv monitor where are the speakers too.

I only think if this problem with powerbutton is not something like security button lock to not press it when the lid is closed for example in bag (in a case of mistake - like you dont know about that) but if yes they should make a choice in bios to be variable... but dont know...

mabye somebody from HP help us

0 Kudos
happycampernot Tutor
Tutor
18 0 3
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post

That's a strange behaviour about the speakers.  Mine switches to my external monitor speaker automatically when the display goes to that monitor. One thing I had to do was to disable USB Advanced Audio Device from playback devices as my monitor is connected to a Dock and it wasn't going to the monitor speakers automatically.  Now it does after that.  Also, from time to time, I need to go to the speaker properties playback settings and play with the default format of the frequency (e.g. change 16 bit to 24 bit, back and forth) for the sound to come out of my Asus monitor.   I reinstalled Intel(R) Display Audio driver (this driver controls sound via HDMI from what I read) and nothing seem to fix the problem.  It's annoying but at least it works for me.

Are you not able to manually select the playback device output via right clicking on the sound icon?  

When I connect my Samsung TV via wireless display connect, the sound comes out from the TV automatically but very very low.  It took me sometime to figure it out but I had to goto Sound properties and change Communications setting to "do nothing" when the PC place/receive telephone calls.  That fixed the volume reduction on TV output via wireless connect.  The only issue I have with the wireless display connect is that it stops transmitting video every 30 minutes or so even when the display shows it is connected.  Sounds continues to come on the TV.  So, I have to disconnect TV and reconnect again for it to work.  I have a fast internet and wifi set up so don't think it's that.  It's annoying and some times I just hook on a HDMI cable direct to the TV with the laptop sitting next to it if I want no interruption from the disconnect.

0 Kudos
MaTrek Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post

thanks all for reply.

The problem with repro was resolved ,probably after some look into power profile settings and also upgrading all drivers from hp update assistant for drivers upgrade...

now it plays form hp spectre only when the lid is open ,when closed it changed to external tv ....

so this is ok,

also in monitor settings I can select profile to transmit picture only to secondary monitor (which is sony tv android) and the hp spectre display stays black,...and when the display is black or lid closed I can also set 4K on TV max 3840 × 2160 ,30hz... it looks good.

so I not need to close the lid to safe the display life...

and also when the lid is not closed the power button works..so this is my option how to use it together with

tv screen.

however the problem with power button stays... when the lid is closed the powerbutton is disabled and not work.

this seems to not be settable in power profile.. mabye in bios ? didnt have a time to look and search there...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation