Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 15-br095ms
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

Recently my notebook started to have problems when I turn it off. After its total shutdown, the machine switches itself on again.

I have already updated all the software and also performed some adjustments mentioned in the forum to correct this problem, but without

Can anybody help me?

Thank you!!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @ricardorossi07,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

As I understand you are having issues with the computer restarts unexpectedly. No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you attempted to capture any error message that appear before or after the device restarts?

Did you try updating the BIOS to resolve the issue? (If not, please Click here to find and install it)

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

If Windows suddenly restarts without warning, or restarts when you try to shut it down, it might be caused by one of several issues. Windows could be set to restart automatically when certain system errors occur. A BIOS update can also resolve the issue. Use the information in this document to resolve issues with the computer restarting unexpectedly.

If the computer restarts unexpectedly and then does not start to Windows, see one of the following documents for steps to resolve this issue:

In addition to the steps in this article, updating video card drivers is known to resolve many of the problems that can cause the computer to restart.

Windows restarts for no apparent reason

Follow the steps in this section, in order, until the problem is resolved.

Step 1: Disabling the automatic restart option to view error messages

Many hardware driver or operating system errors will cause the computer to display a specific error message before stopping the operation or shutting down the computer. However, if the Automatically restart option is enabled, an error message might not be displayed despite an error taking place. Disable this option to allow the computer to display the error message.

Follow these steps to disable the Automatically restart option:

1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.

2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.

Figure : System Properties window

System Properties window
  3. Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart under System Failure, then click OK.

Figure : Automatically restart check box

Location of the Automatically restart check box
  4. Restart the computer.

NOTE:

The computer no longer restarts automatically when a problem occurs. Instead, a blue screen appears with more useful information. You can now search for a resolution using the information in the error.

Step 2: Checking for failed hardware

Hardware problems can cause the computer to restart unexpectedly. For more information about checking for hardware problems, see Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎 for desktop computers, or Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎 for notebook computers.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello.

Thank you for help! 

I did the BIOS update and all the tests indicated, and I also checked the automatic restart option, but my noteboook still has the problem of turning on unexpectedly after the shutdown.

The Hardware tests showed no failure and no error messages.

The problem still persists!!! 

HP Recommended

Hi @ricardorossi07,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was getting really frustrated with this issue and my PC (windows 10) kept going into a restart loop that the only way out of was by doing a System Restore.  First - every time you login - create a new Restore Point as soon as you can login (use them to get out of the restart loop that you might find yourself in).  My issue was caused by my network adapters (figured this out after literally months of trouble shooting which included a full system reload) After you create a Restore point - Go to the Control Pannel, click on Network Network and Internet and then Network and Sharing Center.  Next Click on "Change Adapter Settings." It should show one or two connections including your wifi adapter and ethernet adapter - right click on them and delete both of them (see the picture below).  Then shut down your computer - it should actually shut down. You may need to restart your PC a couple of times to get things back to normaly - Windows will automatically re-install the adapters you deleted. For me the files abviously became corrupted and re-installing them fixed the problem.  FYI - my computer froze up the first couple of times I tried to delete the adapters so I knew I was on the right path - but the third or fourth time i was able to delete them.  Also the only way I could get out of the restart loop was to restore my system to a restore point that I manually created - the ones Windows automatically created when it installed updates didn't work.  network adapters.JPG   

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm having the same issue, how to delete the wifi drivers, delete option has been disabled for me. 2019-10-06.png

HP Recommended

This issue is with my HP EliteDesk 800 desktop. How I get around this, sort of, is first Restart my pc, then Shutdown. However, half the times I Shutdown, it shuts down. I just don't want to mess around with any hardware components. After a few more years, I may get another desktop pc anyway.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.