Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch002tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. in an attempt to minimise the massive problem that is Power Limit Throttling, various community posts advised to use the, "See which apps are affecting your battery life". in Settings>Battery and uncheck "Let Windows Decide when this app can run in the background" options. This, so I'm led to believe, disables the PCs ability to throttle performance for those apps.

Anyway, I did this for most apps and didn't really notice any difference - PC still frequently throttling down to 0.77ghz. When I went back into the same battery options menu now, the line, "*some of these settings are hidden or managed by your organization" appears and most of the apps now have the "Let windows decide..." check box checked again and greyed out so it can't be changed.

Most further posts on this indicate that this most likely a Group Policy thing but I can't find any option in the GP editor Admin Templates options which relates to this menu or screen. Note that I have followed just about every suggestion of Enabling and Disabling certain GP options to clear the message but it won't go away.

I've updated all drivers, everything on Windows update. Everything on the HP Support Assistant including the latest BIOS which DID NOT come up via the Support Assistant.

How can this "controlled by your organisation" constraint be removed? By the way, I am the only user account on this laptop.

Please help...thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@gregjohnmason Greetings from the HP Community!

Changing Registry Settings to resolve the issue:

You can change one of your registry settings. It may fix this problem. To do it, Follow the instructions.

• Open Run. To open it – Press Windows Logo Key + R from keyboard.
  • Type regedit and press Enter.
  • Now, You will have to navigate to a location which depends on how you are actually encountering this problem.

If it appears in notification settings:

• At first, Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > PushNotifications from registry editor.
  • Now, you will see NoToastApplicationNotification. Double click on it.

Fix Some Settings are Managed by Your Organization from NoToastApplicationNotification

• Now change its value 1 to 0. 1 is default value. You will make it 0.
  • Click on OK.
  • Now, Sign out your Microsoft Account. Sign in again.
  • Now see the problem has gone.

For Wallpaper Setting:

• Go to SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

However, You can find all registry locations from the list i have mentioned above. In all cases, you may set the value 0 or 1 and see which one works for you.

This method must work if you can do everything in right way.

3. Changing Privacy Settings

• At first, Go to Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics.
  • Then, Change Diagnostics and usage data setting to Full.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi -thanks for your reply. It seems that I do not have that path in my Registry for Current User or for any other users. I've tried a number of searches in registry to find the settings for this menu but can't. That key (NoToastApplicationNotification) is not anywhere in my registry - I've done a search.

For some reason I can't attach a screenshot.

HP Recommended

@gregjohnmason I suggest you create a new user account and check if that helps,

Also try Changing Privacy Settings

• At first, Go to Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics.
  • Then, Change Diagnostics and usage data setting to Full.

And if the issue persists,

• Open Start Menu and type gpedit.msc.
  • Now, Right click on gpedit.msc and Run as Administrator.
  • Then, Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds.
  • Then, Find Allow Telemetry and double click on it.
  • Now, Change its setting to Enabled and change the drop down menu entry to 3-Full.

Some Settings are Managed by Your Organization fixing from Allow Telemetry

• Click on Apply and OK.
  • Again open the file and change setting like before. That means change Enabled to Not Configured.
  • Now check and see the problem has gone.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - thanks again for your assistance. I have previously tried both of those approaches with no success but for good measure tries again following your post. I'm still seeing the message and cannot adjust any of the battery saver settings.

Interestingly that screen also has another "feature"; when I select "All Apps" from the drop down, the circle spins and then the settings app crashes and I have to start it up again it's not all of the time, but mostly.

Do you know which Group Policy items or Registry keys are associated with either this Setting Menu/Screen for Battery Save or to each application's specific setting (which cannot be user changed)? Now, all but two of the apps are showing as "Managed by Windows" and cannot be changed at all.

Finally got attach photo to work (works in Edge but not Chrome); Here's the registry missing the toast notification stuff;

Regedit1.JPGBattery Snip.JPG

Thanks again - maybe I've just got a stuffed / corrupted install and need to repair. Is it possible to repair without losing apps and settings or do I need to do a full in-situ reinstall?

HP Recommended

@gregjohnmason I'm afraid if none of those steps have helped, this could be an issue with the user account, I suggest you create a new user account only to check if that works, before you transfer you files/data from the other account, let me know how that pans out.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - thanks again for your suggestions. Still no joy.

In the end I did a Windows Repair (keeping data and apps) from a USB Media and it seems (so far, touch wood) to have resolved this issue.

Now I will still have to find a way to address the horrible throttling behaviour which makes it almost impossible to use sometimes. Monitoring in XTU, it's Power Limit and Current Limit Throttling under very low loads. Hardly ever Thermal Throttling as far as I can see. It's so infuriating - I thought it could handle 65W but seems to throttle under 8 or 9 Watts load. Often stis on 0.77ghz and won't budge. You can imagine having a browser and Lighroom running like it's 1989.

Grrrrrr.....

HP Recommended

...And lo and behold, one restart later ad it's back again.

**bleep** is wrong with this thing?

HP Recommended

@gregjohnmason It looks like the device is running according to its own mind, i don't remember having AI installed on that device, so i know this is strange! however, I am glad its working now, or decided to work now,

If you do have any issues again, do get back to us, any time and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your continued interest - when I say, "It's back", I don't mean my normally functioning laptop. The *some things are being managed by your organization", message is back. 

I did another Windows repair and the message is gone again but I'm not sure how long it'll last or what flicks it back to disabling those settings. I created a restore point as soon as I refreshed windows.

If it happens again I might then try a Windows repair deleting apps and settings.

If that fails it'll be a full re-install which is a massive ball ache of course.

As is the throttling which is ultimately what I'm trying fix/reduce the impact of - any pointers on that (which actually work) would be great thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.