Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavillion. I've had it about a year and since the beginning I've had trouble with the touchpad enabling itself. I go to the system setting and disable it via additional settings on the touchpad window. It is fine the rest of the day but the next day it is enabled again. I do a lot of artwork and need my mouse to do that, so I don't use the touchpad. When I type, the pad of my hand catches the touchpad and moves the mouse all over the place. I don't turn my computer off each night, it just puts itself to sleep. 

How can I turn the touchpad off and have it stay off until the rare occassion occurs that I might want it on?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Valynb,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I reviewed the post regarding disabling the touchpad. I will be delighted to assist you here. 

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you try to double tap on the upper left corner of the touchpad to lock it?
  • What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

• Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you better.

• For a start please try all the steps from this document http://hp.care/2t5kWsM for disabling the touchpad. Although it is for Windows 7 it should work on your computer also.
  • If it still continues please check these links:
  • Link2: is a forum link: http://hp.care/2t55uN9  that has worked for some.
  • Link 3:  http://hp.care/2t51tbE relating to for touchpad issues. Please follow the most relevant set of steps that best match your current issue.

Other ways to disable the touchpad.

• Right-click on Start>select device manager>Expand Mice and other pointing devices>
  • Right-click on HID compliant mice> and disable it. It might disable the touchpad.
  • There could be two listings one for the touchpad or one for the mouse. You need to figure out which one it is.
  • Also, another method is to right-click on Synaptics SMBus TouchPad and left-click on uninstall.
  • This will temporarily disable the touchpad till the time the computer is powered on. If the system is restarted, then the touchpad will work again as the drivers will get reinstalled at the restart.
  • You need to perform these steps each time the computer is powered on. This is a work around.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Upbutton to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The link you gave does not work. Got an error screen. I have an HP Pavilion Notebook. There is no other model information on the body or in system information.  The receipt (purchased 4/10/16) shows HP Paviliion Notebook 17-G148DX. The minimal paperwork which comes with devices these days consists of four pieces of paper/flyers with service numbers, set-up information and worldwide warranty info. 

Double clicking upper left of touchpad does not work. Pad continues to be active.

On 11/12 I disabled the touchpad via the device options.

On 11/13 I disabled the touchpad via device options. The PC went to sleep and when I opened it again, touchpad was active. I disabled it through the Mouse option. It still worked. Disabled it through the touchpad option. It stayed off.

11/14 it was still off.

11/15 it was back on. 

In reading online I see where there are aftermarket/non-HP programs available to disable the touchpad. Thinking it much be a problem for more than just me if there are companies making programs. 

HP Recommended

@Valynb

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I recommend:

I have few steps to sort this out: 

• Hold down the Windows key and press R 

• Into the Run, box type Regedit and hit enter 

• In the Registry Editor (create a backup by exporting the registry to an external storage), then navigate to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install 

• Inside, look for a key named DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade 

• If this is present, right-click the key and select Modify 

• Set the Value data field to 0 (Zero) and then click Ok. 

• Close the Registry Editor. 

​​​​​​​Once you complete the above steps:

Follow these steps to disable the Touchpad when an external USB mouse is attached. You can also determine if the taskbar has a Touchpad icon and how it appears.

1. In the Windows search box, type TouchPad.

From the results list click TouchPad settings.

2. Click Additional settings.

Figure : Clicking Additional settings

Clicking Additional settings on the Touchpad window
  3. To disable the Touchpad when using a USB mouse, check Disable external pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached.

Figure : Disabling the Touchpad

Disabling the Touchpad when a USB mouse is in use
  4. To determine if the icon for the Touchpad is displayed in the taskbar, and if it is, how it appears, make the appropriate selection under Tray Icon.

Figure : Tray Icon settings

Tray Icon settings

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.