Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moderig
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

u010dx Laptop Permanently Freezes Until Shutdown After BIOS Update

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-u010dx x360 Convertible PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have recently had a problem with my u010dx notebook. About 2 months ago, I decided to upgrade it from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. While doing so, I also decided to check the HP drivers page for the model and download all of its recent software. In doing so, the BIOS was also updated to the most recent version on the page (F.41 Rev.A). However, after doing so, the device started randomly freezing permanently. 

For example, minutes after booting the laptop, the device would freeze. If any audio was playing, then it would also get stuck. The fix to this was to hold down the power button and reboot the laptop, only for the same issue to occur at another random time. Sometimes, the freeze occurred during startup, meaning it would be stuck on a black screen, or even at the HP logo. I know for a fact that this is not a Windows issue because the freezing even happened when I was running a few tests in the BIOS. 

Sometimes, I got a blue screen instead of the screen freezing. Every single time, the error was CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I searched it up and tried many of the solutions websites offered, but they all did nothing or did not work for some reason. The error, in general, can originate from many different things.

I thought that if I downgraded the BIOS, things would maybe get better. However, after checking the BIOS page, I realize that there was only 1 BIOS for my notebook. I know for a fact that my older BIOS was also an older version and not a duplicate as it had not been updated since 2013 or so. I tried to downgrade to my old BIOS using the HP diagnostic tools in the BIOS and also the Win + B key during startup; the Win + B key showed a black screen and the diagnostic tools said that were was no prior BIOS found.

TLDR;  I upgraded my drivers including my BIOS and random freezing started occurring, so I tried to find my older BIOS but it seems to not be on the HP page for my laptop. 

Is there any way for me to fix this issue? Is it something common? Is there an HP website that shows older BIOS versions for laptops? Any response would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
asmita6658
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,452 14,442 1,436 1,741
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Moderig

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the freezing issue. 

Let's try these steps - 

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Also, try these steps - HP PCs - Computer Locks Up or Freezes

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation