Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-bw011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got a used 15-bw011dx; fully restored it, migrated to a 500GB Samsung EVO SSD and installed new Crucial memory (2x8GB). Yep, it's flying. So, I'm still learning stuff about this machine and it doesn't have the usual turn-off-display function key.

How do you turn off the display without activating sleep? Is there a key combination or an easy setting...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JulioBro,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to know how to turn off the display without turning on the sleep option.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Follow the below steps to turn off the screen automatically after a specified period of inactivity.

1. Press the Windows logo key + I to open the Settings app, then click System.

2. Select Power & sleep on the left side. Under the Screen section on the right side, you can set Windows 10 to automatically turn off display after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity.

If your computer has a battery, the system will allow you to separately set a period of time for the screen turn off action on battery.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@JulioBro,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to know how to turn off the display without turning on the sleep option.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Follow the below steps to turn off the screen automatically after a specified period of inactivity.

1. Press the Windows logo key + I to open the Settings app, then click System.

2. Select Power & sleep on the left side. Under the Screen section on the right side, you can set Windows 10 to automatically turn off display after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity.

If your computer has a battery, the system will allow you to separately set a period of time for the screen turn off action on battery.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Umm...I did that adjustment already. What I need is a key combination or a shortcut that just turns the screen off immediately. Is that possible or available?

HP Recommended

@JulioBro,

There is no shortcut to go directly to the display timeout settings.

Please refer to the below article to find all the available keyboard shortcuts.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The_Fossette, sadly, and strangely, for that matter, there isn't a combination for turning off the screen. Win 10 and that's still not built in.

HP Recommended

Although I'm accepting a solution, I adjusted the Power Options so that the power button turns off the screen. That's not so cool, since that button isn't built for frequent use, not like the keys are, but for immediate action, it's the only option.

HP Recommended

@JulioBro,

You can use tools to remap the keyboard keys. I recommend you search online and you will find a lot of articles about keyboard keys remapping and you can remap the keys based on your requirement.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Already searched the issue, and that seems not available, unless you install some 3rd party software that adds the feature. So, unless Microsoft or HP includes the feature, can't be done, normally.

HP Recommended

@JulioBro,

As of now the option you are looking for is not included in the operating system shortcut key. As I informed earlier you can use third party software and remap the keys based on your required.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.