Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 15T-DY200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a new HP 15T-DY200 laptop and two HP 27fw monitors.  When trying to connect them using a usb-c to hdmi connector my laptop states that my display connection may be limited and will not show the two monitors.  What can I do to have two display monitors? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@rsassi0160 

If you wish to have 2 or more external monitors (and notebook monitor - total 3), please enter your requirement on the following link and it will find for you few USB-A DisplayLink Certified options on market today including some HP products (you can select HP before Search)

https://www.displaylink.com/products/universal-docking-stations

For example

https://www.displaylink.com/products/find?cat=1&res=1920x1080&num=2&br=5&vid_hdmi=1&usba=1

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The big question is whether the HP 15t-dy200 laptop’s USB C port supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode (Alt Mode) video output functionality? Does anyone know whether it does???

If the USB C port does support Alt Mode, there are a number of vendors that provide USB C dongles that will provide a second HDMI port for the second monitor (e.g. Pluggable’s 7-in-1 USB C hub). From a performance point of view (reduced load on the CPU and best image and latency on the monitor), this is the best approach, I.e. to use the existing HDMI port on the laptop (which will make use of the internal GPU) and use a USB C port dongle to provide one more HDMI port (this will have its own internal GPU, which will probably be nowhere near as good as the internal GPU, and will have its monitor resolution and latency limited by the 5 Gbps USB C bandwidth that the 15t-dy200 has).

The other option is to use an external USB C or USB A (5 Gbps “Superspeed USB 3.0) hub that provides 2 HDMI ports. This will give a significantly poorer solution, as the 5Gbps bottleneck now has to supply data to both monitors. The internal GPU will not be used (which, if you ordered the NVidea or Intel Iris Ex, is a complete waste of one of the best GPUs on the market at the moment) and the CPU is now having to supply the 5Gpbs data stream to the USB port all the time (as the two monitors need this data), which needlessly slows down the processor (which is one of the reasons they have a GPU in the first place - to take this data management load off the processor (as well as to perform the graphics processing, which is now being done by the hub).

HP Recommended

I have the same question about 15t-dy200's USB c Port. I tried two different USB C to HDMI cables, one is USB C to HDMI only, and the other USB C to HDMI and other USB 3/c ports.  Both HDMI connections didn't work.  But external USB data ports worked. How to find out the  HP 15t-dy200 laptop’s USB C port supports Alt Mode or not? The manual doesn't mention anything other than a link to HP support page. My Dell laptop supports USB C to HDMI. I thought this is a  standard USB C  to support video output feather until I got my  HP15t-dy200...

HP Recommended

Found out that the cheapest (and possibly one of the best) solutions is to buy a "GIQ 15 in 1 USB 3.0 C to Single 5K dual 4k@60Hz HDMI Displayport output", currently available on Amazon for $130.

This definitely works with the 15t_dy200 and dual HP 27f monitors because I am using it in that configuration to type this.

This has the latest DisplayLink DP-6950 chip in it that uses data compression on the USB-C SuperSpeed connection (which is what the 15t_dy200 has) to squeeze the amount of data needed to feed dual 4K monitors at 60Hz. It adds 6 USB-C ports, both 2 x HDMI and 2 x DisplayPort outputs, a socket for a headset jack, and both an SD and microSD memory card slot that work in parallel. It is super fast, very reliable, and beautifully built. Highly recommended - simply amazing to be able to get a docking station this advanced, of this quality, at this price!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.