Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 L8R68AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all! I'm a DIY guy with this laptop, so I'm not afraid to tear it apart to replace modules or boards. Plus, it's 5yrs old LOL. 

-My laptop fell off the coffee table onto the hardwood floor. Screen is not cracked and the touch feature works fine, but the laptop no longer does screen rotation and the keyboard will not lock out. Also, while typing and using the trackpad, it glitches out sometimes and the cursor disappears, and ============= starts appearing in the text box that I'm trying to type in, requiring a reboot. 

It sounds to me like there is a sensor or module that is bad now. Does anyone know if I will need to replace the whole screen, or is the module a separate board? They seem pretty cheap these days, and the laptop is still a great performer. I'd hate to trash it.

Thanks,

John

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

To be clear-

Auto rotate isn't greyed out, it's a light blue color and can't be selected to toggle on or off. 

Touch screen feature still works, but keyboard is still active when rotating

All software and drivers are up to date. Bios is up to date. 

I need to know which area of the laptop to look at replacing, or for pinched or damaged connectors. 

MB is new, I replaced that last week due to a broken (by me) connector during SSD troubleshooting.

HP Recommended

@waferman Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the screen will no longer rotate.

Please perform the below steps on the computer to run a System Test

- Shut down/Turn off the computer

- Once the computer is completely Shut down/Turned off

- Now press the power button once to turn on the computer and immediately start pressing/tapping the F2 key on the keyboard

- This should open the UEFI Diagnostic screen on the computer

- Please select System Test and then select Extensive Test

If the test is passed, perform the system reset and check.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your attention! 

My EUFI only has "Hard drive test" and "Memory Test" and "language".  

I ran the 'Hp Hardware Diagnostics' and everything passed. I'm not sure what you mean by 'system reset'; W10 is a fresh install, and in Bios only the security setting can be reset to defaults. My BIOS does not have many features to change. Boot drive order is about all. 

Thanks,

John

HP Recommended

So, I've been doing more homework on this issue, and there's a possibility that it's software related after all. I found a locked thread from 2016 where a call to Microsoft fixed the issue, but the tech had to remotely mess around. 

I do notice that Rotation Lock is grayed out on mine. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.