Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP - ENVY x360 2-in-1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have an HP - ENVY x360 2-in-1 laptop running Windows 10.  Just purchased in June, 2020.

We have 2 EXTERNAL HP monitors that we connected.  One to the laptop's HDMI port, one to the laptop's USB-C port.

Both monitors work as expected.

We now want to connect additional devices, so we bought at docking station.

The docking station connects to the laptop via the USB-C port.

We connect the 2 external monitors to the docking station.

One works (HDMI), the other doesn't (using either the USB-C or the docking station's other HDMI port on the docking station).

To be totally honest, we've tried about 10 different docking stations.

All have the same result.  One external monitor works, the other doesn't even get recognized by windows.  It stay's black, and the power light is red. 

We spoke to the docking station tech support who said the laptop "should" support dual monitors through their docking station.  They recommended calling HP support to see if there was a driver or BIOS issue.  The graphics driver is current.  Then, the HP support said "we can't help you, but if you pay us money to use our "smart friends" site, they can probably fix the problem".    Really?   Gotta pay to get help?

So, bottom line is that the 2nd monitor works when connected directly to the USB-C on the laptop, but isn't even recognized when connected via any method through a docking station (with the docking station using the laptop's USB-C port).

Anyone have any ideas?  

PS - Not a computer nerd, so speak slowly.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@TomandDeb 

What is your HP - ENVY x360 2-in-1  ? Does it have USB-C port which supports Alt Mode ?  I can't answer your question (slow or fast) because I don't know your machine.

Please use the following way to find out the model/product of your machine

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I apologize for not including this.

The HP x360 is a laptop.

Here is the information off the Best Buy receipt:

HP - ENVY x360 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 8GB Memory - 256GB SSD - Nightfall B...
Model: 15M-EE0013D

It has one USB-C port, and one HDMI port.

I do not know if the USB-C port supports alt-mode (how can I find that out?)

I believe the Tech support from the last docking station vendor we tried looked up that fact on her website and I'm pretty sure it said that the  USB-C does support Alt-Mode.  But, I don't have anything factual to confirm it....just her say-so.

Thanks for any help/insight you can provide.

HP Recommended

Dear TomandDeb, 

I had a similar issue in the sense that there was no way to make the external monitor working even by directly connecting it to the usbc thunderbolt connector. After several attempts I fixed the probelm by setting from 0 to 1 the value of an entry of the register file. If this works you will fix the problem in less than 5 minutes. 

You can find the detailed I instructions in this post I wrote today: External monitor not working with thunderbolt connector

Keep me posted! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  However, I can connect a monitor directly the USB-C (non-thunderbolt) port and it works just fine.  However, when I connect a docking station to the USB-C port, and then try to connect the monitor to the USB-C port that is on the docking station itself, the monitor won't connect.  We've tried at least a dozen different docking stations.  I cannot get the monitor to be recognized when connecting to the USB-C on the docking station.  Most docking stations we tried have HDMI (which works for one of our 2 monitors), or we can try the old VGA connections, which also work, but the quality and layout of the display when using VGA isn't acceptable.  We really just want one docking station to drive 2 monitors:  1 through HDMI, 1 through USB-C.  Even the expensive, power, HP branded docking station won't allow the monitor to be recognized from its USB-C port.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.