Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-ae1xx laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has a HDMI out port.  It used to work just fine connecting my LCD 50" screen to it.  It started to randomly work about a month ago and then just completely stopped detecting it.

Yes, I tried the basic stuff... open/close laptop screen.  turn on/off computer.  check for device driver updates.  didn't help.

Thought it might be the cable or the LCD tv screen.  Tried another cable, tried other input on back of screen, tried turning on/off screen.  didn't help.

Tried connecting it to another LCD tv screen.  didn't help.

When I go to settings and click detect I get the "not detected" comment.

When I click into the Advanced display settings it is indeed "detecting" it as the the display info changes - says "LCD TV Display 2: connected to Intel UHD Graphics 620".  When I plug it into the other screen it shows "Onn TV Display connected to Intel...." so it sees it, it's seeing and sensing the resolution and the refresh rates of both LCD tv's as the info on this screen changes depending which I plug into.

But, when I go back to the Settings and click detect it says "not detected" again and won't show anything with the Identify either.

I've tried using the Fn+F4 key combo to see if that method works, and again nothing.

So, other ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@naturat

I reviewed your post and I understand that the TV is not getting detected when connected to the HDMI port.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the product number of your computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is an HP Envy 17-ae1xx

I checked both the onboard and the additional graphics cards - both say their drivers are the latest version.

As I mentioned, this was working fine up until a short while ago at which point it started randomly going in and out  and now is completely out.  It sees the TV, it knows what it is connected to but continues to state it's disconnected in the multi monitor window.

As for updating the bios or other items...

I am NOT about to download and install any HP updates on this laptop for the bios.  Last time I did that was right after I got it and HP's update was so badly put together that it nearly bricked the brand new laptop and I had to try reverting the updates, and was barely able to bring it back from recovery.  HP updates stink and break more than they fix.

HP Recommended

@naturat

I recommend you run a test on the HDMI port to make sure that the port is working fine.

Follow the steps in the below article to run the test.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That test does NOT look at HDMI ports.  There are a couple of video tests in it that check pixels, ram, etc. of the card, but nothing in there checks the HDMI.

HP Recommended

@naturat If your internet is fine and nothing interrupts the download, the BIOS should resolve this issue, that said, if the cable works fine on an alternate device while it doesn't work on this HDMI port even after the BIOS update, this could be a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.