Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an EliteBook 840 G7 with a USB-C Dock G5.

I am attempting to run 3 monitors 2 via the DVI slots and 1 via the HDMI slot on the dock. 

2 of the monitors are able to display at 1920x1080 but the other is capped at 720x576 which is almost unusable. 

Altering the DVI/HDMI cables around does not make any difference. 

Can anyone offer any solutions or have I reached the limit of my laptop?

Thank in advance for any assistance. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@joncole21 wrote:

... I am attempting to run 3 monitors 2 via the DVI slots and 1 via the HDMI slot on the dock. 

@joncole21 

Firstly the HP USB-C G5 does not have DVI port, I think you are talking about DP (DisplayPort) ports.

I can't answer why because I can't re-create the problem but I know on my 840 G5 machine I get 3 FHD monitors. All my monitors are at least 5 years old: one from Dell (only has DVI and VGA ports), one ASUS (has HDMI and DVI ports) one from LG (has HDMI and DVI port). I did not buy more cables, only use available cables at home. My connections from the dock:

• Monitor 1 (Dell) using   HDMI to DVI cable
  • Monitor 2 (ASUS) using PD to HDMI cable
  • Monitor 3 (LG) using PD to HDMI cable.

Note: I do not have a plan to test 4K monitor(s) because it does not make sense to spend money just for testing.

Probably, please update firmware of the dock and try again.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-usb-c-dock-g5/27767205

Yesterday I also tested the dock on my HP Omen 15, had same result, only the dock could not charge my HP Omen. I will test the dock on my Dell machines and other HP machine later.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for responding. I found the solution. To run 3 monitors via the C Dock I had to amend the settings in the BIOS to enable this function. This did mean I had to drop the USBs down from 3.0 to 2.0. Which is fine with me. Thanks  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.