Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy x360 15z-000ee
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received my custom built Envy x360 15z-000ee and I upgraded to the 400 nit screen option. I ran a test using Display HDR and it shows the peak luminance at 270 nits, indicating I received my laptop with the base 250 nit screen and not the one I ordered. I have read reports of this happening to others online and would like to see if I indeed did receive the 250 nit screen or if there is some other issue that causes the test not to read right. I have included a picture with the results of the test from Display HDR. 

You can see a screenshot of what the test looks like at this link, I got the same results as he did.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Envy-x360-15z-000ee-Display-Panel-Iss...

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@jlev1220

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Any update? Mine shows the same but I see the display name shows HDR400

HP Recommended

Hi James,

No update yet unfortunately.  Where did you find the display name showing HDR400, I can not seem to find that?

HP Recommended

I missed it too. In the middle of your screen shot, 2 lines above X and Y. "Hd testing tier: HDR400". That's what the person in chat said indicated it was the 400 nit panel. The max 270 nits worries me still hs the only other confirmation method I can find is buying measuring hardware. 

HP Recommended

I see that now. What worries me in taking that as an answer if that if you hit the arrow keys that changed to HDR600,800,1000 etc. So is that really indicating its the 400 screen if it can easily be changed?  I am not sure about that and the lack of follow up or answers from HP is a bit concerning.  And I haven't found another way of testing so far other then Display HDR.

HP Recommended

Yea I dont think these are 400 nits. Towards the top of the save file it shows 270 nits as well. I found this on Microsoft Support by searching "HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10". I chatted with HP support and they just linked me to a PDF showing all possible configuration options of the laptop and not to worry they confirmed on their end. 

Make sure your Windows 10 PC has the required hardware to display HDR, and find out if your display supports HDR10. Here’s how to do that:

1. Press the Windows logo key  + R, type dxdiag, and then select OK.
  2. Select Yes at the prompt.
  3. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, on the System tab, look in the System Information area.
  4. To save the information to a file, select Save All Information, and then name and save the text file.
  5. Open the text file, and look at the value for Advanced Color. This provides info about your display's HDR configuration and the status of it. Look for these values:
    • AdvancedColorSupported. This indicates that your installed display driver and display support HDR10.
    • AdvancedColorEnabled. This indicates that HDR is currently turned on for your display.
  6. Look at the value for Monitor Capabilities. This provides more detailed info about the display's capabilities.
    • If the value is HDR Supported, that indicates that your display supports HDR10. You might see additional values in parentheses.
      • BT2020RGB or BT2020YCC. One of these color spaces must appear for the display to be considered as an HDR10-capable display.
      • Eotf2084Supported. This value must appear for the display to be considered as an HDR-capable display.
    • If the value is HDR Not Supported, that indicates that the display is missing one or more requirements for HDR10.
HP Recommended

Thank you for that information. Since HDR is not supported I too believe we have the 250 nits screen and not the 400 nits display we paid for to upgrade. 

Here are the requirements for HDR to be supported,

Requirements for built-in displays

These are the minimum requirements to enable and play content in HDR on laptops running Windows 10:

• Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018 Update) or higher.
  • Processors like Intel 7th Generation or better to use required codecs for 10-bit video decoding.
  • Integrated or discrete graphics with PlayReady support to play protected content.
  • Display with a 1920 x 1080 pixels (1080p) resolution or better.
  • Display with the brightness of 300 nits or better.

IF we got what we paid for, then our machines should be able to have HDR enabled, but since they cant display HDR it reasons that the screen is the missing component above and we got the 250 nits screen.  All the other bullet points are taken care of except the screen. This is highly disappointing as I wait awhile for this CPU to be built and delivered and took considerable time researching what laptops would meet all my specs needed. The screen is a crucial aspect as I do photo editing. 

HP Recommended

Same here with the research and for you the display is even more critical. I downloaded a light meter mobile app which also confirmed 270ish nits.

I have initiated an exchange via the return chat. They requested I send a email with a screenshot confirming 250 nits. I was provided several different steps to get the information from windows (I believe copied and pasted from Google as options were not present in Win 10). Ultimately they said use DisplayHDR test. I used that as well as the nit section from the dxdiag file. 

That's to be submitted to the Return & Exchange team for approval. I'll let you know what I hear back but you may want to get the ball rolling on that as support chat is giving us the run-around.

HP Recommended

Did they say they would exchange it for one with a 400 nit screen? I am kind of worried that if i was to do an exchange I would just end up with the wrong screen again, it has happened to a few people online and lets just say I don't have much confidence in them at the moment. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.