Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Yea they said it takes about a week or so (from my 1st post about doing the exchange) for the return team to review the screenshots and if it's approved I can do an exchange. The support team honestly is not well informed to be any real help and just based on the number of reddit posts, I wouldn't be surprised if HP did this intentionally.

That's a concern of mine too so I will have to bring that up about what will happen if the new screen is not 400 as well. My biggest concern will be the time since they have to build a new laptop (according to the support team) and supply with laptops in high demand.

HP Recommended

James,

I made a post on reddit trying to get to the bottom of this issue and you may want to seriously consider the following information, 

Here was a reply to my question about the screen,

"I have the same Envy x360 and can tell you the following: 1 - The display on mine is substantially brighter than my friend's 250-nit (regular) display on his Envy x360. We compared mine at 50% and his on full brightness, and mine was brighter. Also, the colors were sharper on mine. 2 - The HDR test shows 270 nits and 52% sRGB, which is exactly the same it shows on my friend's Envy x360. I believe it is some kind of default value from the OS.

I realize this may not help much, but I wanted you to know the 400-nit display IS brighter and better color-wise than the 250-nit. I spent the money as you did for the better screen."

My screen does look bright and colors look ok, it is certainly possible Display HDR is just giving us a faulty reading. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. That was my original thought before speaking with HP support. It would make the most sense but we shall see.

HP Recommended

So there was no follow up from HP so I reached out and it was approved for exchange today (conveniently).

I will need to call during business hours to actually speak to someone regarding points you and I mentioned as well as this could very well be the 400 not screen already. 

Have you seen anything else from others online?

HP Recommended

Hi James.  I do not have any new information right now, I was hoping to see how your situation went before I pursued it any further with HP.  I am leaning towards the opinion that we have the right screen, and display hdr is giving us bad info.  The screen seems pretty bright to me and the colors are pretty vibrant.  The screen is def brighter then my wife's macbook, albeit hers is a bit older model. 

Please do keep me updated as to how you make out with HP as it will go into my decision to pursue an exchange before my 30 days is up at the end of this month.  I do appreciate the update from you today, thank you. 

HP Recommended

I'll keep you posted.

I do think we have the correct screens now. I have the Note10+ and your comment made me think to check. The manual max brightness is around 400 nits and the srgb is around 100% for one of the screen modes (per displaymate's website). 

Inside and outside in sun they were pretty much the same. I also tested a handful of vids and the colors were the same as well.

HP Recommended

So I saw a lot of posts about how bad HP support was but I figured it was just a vocal minority since I saw negative things with all of the companies..... Turns out they are that bad.

Long story short I wont be exchanging the laptop. I'm sure we have the 400 nits and i don't want to deal with the headache of resetting the laptop & sending it back for nothing. 

I can send it in but this last person said I'd have to pay. I'm not sure how much as i was xfered to another team and that went to the virtual assistant so I hung up. I looked up other posts about DisplayTestHDR and its not accurate (only hardware can measure luminance). 

Not sure if that helps you but your only options are to return / exchange the computer or pay to have HP techs confirm its the 400 nit screen (unless you purchased one of the warranty plans that covers it) 

HP Recommended

@Jamesx360

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I will escalate  your case to HP's Regional Escalation Team

Please check your Inbox

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update James, at least it got sorted out. I am having to send my laptop back regardless as the S key broke. Ugh. So I am gonna be without it for 7-10 days but at least it wont cost me anything. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping me posted

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.