Top Student
9 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Adding SSD to Envy x360 15-u111dx

HP ENVY x360 - 15-u111dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have this HP ENVY x360 - 15-u111dx and I would like to add a SSD to this laptop for the OS to reside on.   According to the HP Support Assistant, it is a product number J9H90UA#ABA.

HP Support page for this laptop provides me a link to this maintenance and service guide, http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04513489.  It seems to indicate that it does have the ability to take an SSD in the form factor of "M.2 2280-S3-B-M"  And in the product description, it says in the Internal Expansion section that it has this, "One 2280 M.2 daughter board - optional support for SSD"

Used space on the C: drive is 90GB.  The D: (recovery) uses about 30GB.

This leaves me with a few questions.

1.  Can a SSD be added while keeping the factory 1TB drive installed?

2.  Can I migrate the OS (and recovery partition) to that SSD, boot to that SSD, all the while not messing the up the ability to do a system restore/recovery of the OEM Windows 8.1 software provided by HP?

I think step 2 will be the trickiest.  If someone knows of a free product to do this, I would welcome that recommendation.  I'll also take recommendations for paid software if no free exists. 

Thanks.

Edit:  Sorry, I also have a video problem, and must have had that on my mind when I sellected where to post this.  Could a mod move this to the correct forum please?

2 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
947 41 165
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @bob151,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! This is a great place to find solutions and help from our community!

I understand you have some inquiries about upgrading your HP Envy x360. I'd be happy to help with that.

From what I could find in the service manual, it looks like your Notebook only supports single drive configuration. It does support up to a 256 GB SSD however, I'm not see a way to add an extra drive for booting. 

Hope this helps.

Please keep me posted. 

You can always say thanks by hitting the Thumbs Up button below!

Cheers.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

0 Kudos
Schwa87 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you serious about the limitations of a 256GB SSD in this system? I can't believe that HP would limit the controller to only 256GB and let the machine have a 1TB HDD.

Please explain. I am about to purchase a 500GB SSD for this unit.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation