Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since the last Windows 10 update, I keep getting artifacts all over the screen, mostly in browser windows, that disappear when I move over them.

Mostly, it's little black (or white) blocks, but sometimes in system pop-up windows, the entire text will be blacked out and there will be black edges around any icons shown.

I would do a system restore, but apparently all my system restore points from before have been erased (if anyone has any idea why this happened, please let me know).

I read that the artifacts might have to do with hardware acceleration, but turning that off in the browser doesn't do anything, they're still there.

I've tried the Intel driver update utility, but that tells me that there is a custom driver installed on this notebook and that I have to contact the manufacturer (I've updated the drivers before, and I'm pretty sure I never installed a custom driver, but whatever).

The info I got from the Intel program is this:

Report Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2016
Report Time [hh:mm:ss]: 11:32:22 AM
Driver Version: 20.19.15.4377
Operating System: Windows* 10 Home (10.0.14393)
Default Language: Dutch (Belgium)
Physical Memory: 8097 MB
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 1916
Device Revision: 07
Graphics Output Protocol (GOP) Version: 9.0.1035
Current Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Processor Speed: 2592 MHz
Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
Shader Version: 5.1
OpenGL* Version: 4.4
OpenCL* Version: 2.0

* Microsoft DirectX* *
Runtime Version: 12.0
Hardware-Supported Version: 12.0

* Devices connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Any ideas? It's really annoying and I'm afraid something might actually be broken, which would be very disappointing, cuz I've had this notebook less than a year and I've had nothing but issues with it...

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

I suggest rolling back the Windows update that happened at the time the issue began.

Settings-->Update & Security-->Update History --> check the date on the installed updates and then click on uninstall updates. The next window that opens will give you the option to click on a specific update and uninstall it.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

It doesn't give me the option of uninstalling. I have 3 updates there, all from this month, I can click on "Update installed on xx/xx/xxxx", but there's no option to uninstall them. Maybe it's because the system restore points were deleted?

There is an general option to uninstall updates on top, but that leads me to programme updates and the actual Windows updates aren't mentioned there.

I think it's the Anniversary Update that caused the problems, and I don't seem to have any way to go back to before.

HP Recommended

Click on the blue Uninstall updates that is right below Update History. That should open a window. See the following images.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I can see the two updates from 24/25 August there, but not the one that caused the problems, which is the anniversary update from 18 August.

Meanwhile, I've read that it is that update that erases your System Restore, and apparently you had 10 days to roll back if you didn't like it, but now that possibility is gone. I might be able to do so by going back to the previous build, but obviously that's only going to be a temporary solution, as I'll eventually have to install the AU anyway.

Could you tell me where I could find the right driver for my graphics card for this notebook model? I could try that to see if it fixes anything before going back to a previous OS build.

HP Recommended

I will need you to identify your notebook with its complete product number.   While booted into Windows hold down the Fn key and tap the Esc key.

You can also get that information from the HP Support Assistant. The product number is at the bottom of each window.

The following document shows one Spectre x360 with a complete specific product name. I do not know if it is yours.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Spectre-13-x360-Convertible-PC-Series/7527520/model/7791778/d...

HP Recommended

I'm not sure, my product number is P1D76EA#UUG. It's an HP Spectre x360 Convertible.

HP Recommended

There are many Spectre x360 convertible notebooks. Yours is a Spectre x360 13-4100nb. Write it down and even consider saving the link to the support portal 

The driver support page is at the following HP URL.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Spectre-x360-Convertible-PC-Series/8499273/model/...

If the artifacts exist even after installing the graphics driver and removing the windows update, you should consider contacting HP for warranty support since it may be a hardware defect. HP is very likely to recommend that you perform a recovery to the original OS version.

Have you made a usb recovery flashdrive as HP recommended?

HP Recommended

I haven't gotten around to changing the driver and trying to convert back to a previous version of Windows (uninstalling the update isn't possible, unfortunately), but this morning, a new update installed and I've seen much less of the artifacts since (although they still appear sometimes), but the fan is now constantly making noise and the laptop is running super hot, even when I'm not doing anything at all.

At least I think it's the fan running, I don't know what else could make this noise...

I need this laptop for work, I really don't have time to turn it in, and it's pretty much brand new. I never had any issues with my old, cheap Pavillion dm1, and with this one it's just one thing after another. I put it on the most stable surface I can find to see if that would help the fan, but it doesn't, the only thing it did was make me remember that this thing is also super crooked and I have to prop up one of the corners for it not to wobble.

HP Recommended

For anyone else experiencing the problem of the computer running really hot and the fan being on constantly after the latest Windows 10 Update: I read somewhere that it might have to do with the Skype/Windows 10 combo, and for me, it effectively disappeared after shutting down Skype and making sure it wouldn't start automatically on start-up anymore.

In the meantime, I also tried to roll back to before the update that seemed to cause the artifacts, but I couldn't, the option to go back to a previous version of Windows was greyed out because it had been more than 10 days.

I then tried a system restore to undo as many updates as possible (after that major one, because it has erased all system restore points from before that time), which gave me an error but still seemed to work, except if I go into my update history now, I can see that it has just reinstalled all the updates (even though I turned the update service off in my start-up processes and such).

Seems there's no way around it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.