Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Backlight bleed

Omen 14 W202
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just bought a brand new Omen 17 with a 4k screen and replaced it once due to obvious backlight bleed.  The replacement laptop still has pretty obvious backlight bleed.  Do all HP Omen laptops just have this as part of a poor design and therefore should I just get a refund or have I just been unlucky and received two duff items?

IMG_0415.JPGIMG_0415.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
8,244 8,112 483 924
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Backlight bleed

Greetings @DJJ1

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
DJJ1 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Backlight bleed

I appreciate that your have contacted the support team but I've already been in contact with support seeing as I've had a laptop replaced already but this doesn't actually answer my question as to whether this a fault on all laptops (might not even be the screen but the way the bevel is constructed, possibly pinching the screen) or whether I've just been unlucky. 

0 Kudos
DJJ1 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Backlight bleed

To anyone else considering an Omen laptop just a warning that all three(!) Omen 4k (W202na) laptops I have received have had bad backlight bleed and I'm at the stage where I'll probably return it.

It looks like there's a fault in the design or the manufacturing process or I've been incredibly unlucky so my advice would be to avoid at least this model if not the range.

In terms of HP support the process has been therefore pretty frustrating.  All that has been offered is either to RMA with the hope that the next laptop will be better (which there's not been much difference) or a full refund and pretty much nothing in between.  I've therefore spent time either waiting to have the laptop picked up or a new one delivered or on the phone talking to support which has all been a waste.

I also think HP's approach which is that a case number can't be generated online unless you're within work hours is very unhelpful.  You should be able to log a ticket with an issue 24/7 and then wait to receive a response.

The one offer I have received has been an option to get a voucher with cashback from HP if I were to buy an HP laptop elsewhere.  Unfortunately the value of the voucher caps out at less discount than the amount I received through the HP friends and family store so it doesn't actually help. 

Overall HP has been incredibly disappointing which is a shame as the laptop seemed to have a great performance / price ratio - perhaps too good in retrospect.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation