cancel
PROINDIA Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Backlight turn's off whenever plugin a USB device or play a video.

HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, my HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC (2013) boots successfully but whenever i plug in a usb device the screen turn's dark! 

The backlight completely turns off for 5-10 seconds , i can see screen working but with absolutely no light , the issue is with backlight.

and whenever watching any video the screen go dark till the video is being played wheather the video is played in WMP(windows media player) or on youtube.

I try  to resovle this issue by going to HP ccc ( customer care center) , they suggested me to format my windows 10

(i was using win 10 but they ask to degrade to 8.1), when they degraded the windows and i check in the center , the proble was solved but after few hours the screen was the same as before the problem remained unchanged.

temparary remidy

After few time researching i came to know the PC works completely in full brightness but not on other levels below full.

5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @PROINDIA, 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

You had mentioned that you are having an issue with the backlight when you plug in a USB device or play a video on  your HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC. You also mentioned that you had contacted the Customer Care Center. 

Was it the HP System Recovery that you had done?

Did anything change between when the display was working and when the display went dim again?

Have you connected the Notebook to an external monitor or TV?

Have you tried to see if it happens while you are in Safe Mode?

Have you done your Windows updates?

Have you tried to do a System Restore back to when it was working fine?

Have you gone to your Power Options, Advanced settings and changed the USB settings?

Have you done any of your HP Support Assistant Updates? Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

In some cases, a dim display might be caused by an outdated BIOS or graphics driver. 

If you would like to provide me with your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?), I can look at the Software and Driver's page for you and see if there are updated drivers available. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to help! Please make sure to re-post and let me know the detailed results of the troubleshooting steps provided.

Thanks for joining the HP Support Community!

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
PROINDIA Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hello EmeraldAvenger,

product number: J6M42PA#ACJ

Was it the HP System Recovery that you had done?

-yes but only C drive(windows drive) was formatted

Did anything change between when the display was working and when the display went dim again?

-Nothing change but the battery suddenly stopped charging one day and after that the screen use to go black for a blink but after some time the problem really started

Have you connected the Notebook to an external monitor or TV?

-No sir

Have you done your Windows updates?

-done all the updated from  HP Support Assistant Updates

Have you gone to your Power Options, Advanced settings and changed the USB settings?

-yes , all are eneabled

Not tried the safemode, 

the problem is unsolved, Please help in this concerned.

thank you 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Please try connecting the Notebook to an external monitor to see if you can see anything show up on the external monitor. 

Please try to see if it happens while you are in Safe Mode.

Let me know what happens when you try these two steps. 

Thanks. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
PROINDIA Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Doesn't works sir tried everything!!

My laptop is still in warrenty period so i am thinking to go to hpCCC

thanks for your support thumbs up!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey,

Thanks for reaching out again. If your are still under warranty, you can absolutely take the Notebook to a repair facility, or you can use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Please me know how it goes 🙂 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation