cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
bitsnbytes2
Level 1
9 6 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Bbest way to connect two screens to my HP ENVY x360 - 13-ag0590nd?

HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 13-ag0590nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

What is the best way to connect two screens to my  HP ENVY x360 - 13-ag0590nd laptop (p/n 4EQ01EA#ABH)?

Both screens have HDMI 2.0 ports and only one of them has 1 DP in addition to the HDMI.

Is it possible to do so via the USB-C port only (e.g. using a splitter/adapter USB-C to 2xHDMI)? I am not sure it is supported by the USB-C port?

Specs here. Btw. my laptop only has 1xUSB-C, 2x-USB-A. No HDMI.

Your help is very much appreciated!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
banhien
Level 20
Level 20
100,027 39,067 12,995 27,304
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bitsnbytes2 wrote:

.... The spec is wrong or HP has been customizing these Envy's.

I am not sure that the USB-C to 2xHDMI adapter is supported by that USB-C port....

@bitsnbytes2 

Sorry, You are right, the specs says it has HDMI port but actually it DOES NOT have.

left-ag.png

right-ag.png

USB-C to 2xHDMI won't give you the way you wish to unless it is a Displaylink Certified adapter.  Options

1. As mentioned above: You can use USB-C G5 dock, you can have up to 3 external monitors depending on their resolution.
  2. Daisy chain monitors, more info:   https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/how-to-daisy-chain-monitors  
  3. Use a Displaylink Certified adapter

True Universal Docking Stations

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>

View solution in original post

1 person found this reply helpful
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
6 REPLIES 6
banhien
Level 20
Level 20
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bitsnbytes2 wrote:

.. Specs here. Btw. my laptop only has 1xUSB-C, 2x-USB-A. No HDMI.

@bitsnbytes2 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06076254

It does have HDMI version 2.0 port.  You can use HDMI (1) and USB-C (2) to connect to 2 monitors. I tested on a similar USB-C port on an Envy machine with 65W charger and it worked on HP USB-C G5 dock too (to have single cable option)

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
bitsnbytes2
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Banhien,

I appreciate your response.

But, I know how an HDMI port looks lie, and mine doesn't have one (i wish it did). The spec is wrong or HP has been customizing these Envy's.

As I mentioned, only USB ports (1x C and 2xA). I have tested before with 1screen, connected via 1x HDMI to usb-C adapter and that works.

I am not sure that the USB-C to 2xHDMI adapter is supported by that USB-C port....

Of course, I know that as a fallback I could connect the 2nd screen via the USB-A port (using a HDMI to USB-A adapter), but then I have no more ports left...

banhien
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bitsnbytes2 wrote:

.... The spec is wrong or HP has been customizing these Envy's.

@bitsnbytes2 

Sorry, You are right, the specs says it has HDMI port but actually it DOES NOT have.

left-ag.png

right-ag.png

USB-C to 2xHDMI won't give you the way you wish to unless it is a Displaylink Certified adapter.  Options

1. As mentioned above: You can use USB-C G5 dock, you can have up to 3 external monitors depending on their resolution.
  2. Daisy chain monitors, more info:   https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/how-to-daisy-chain-monitors  
  3. Use a Displaylink Certified adapter

True Universal Docking Stations

Regards.

BH

>
1 person found this reply helpful
bitsnbytes2
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Banhien!

I have another question thgough, what should be the max (external montitor) resolution supported by the laptop's integrated AMD radeon Vega 8 graphics card? Or what are the modes it could support in general?

I am thinking about upgrading my monitors to 27'' either WQHD (2560x1440) or UHD-4k (3840x2160).

I have found from the AMD site the following, is it correct/actually supported by this machine?

Max Displays : 4

Max Resolution (for single display): 4096x2160 (but it doesn't mention at what Hz??)
Display Interfaces: up to 4x HDMI 2.0b or 4x DP 1.4
HW Video Encode / Decode: up to 4K @60Hz

banhien
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bitsnbytes2 

I have not seen a dock which supports 4 x 4K monitors over @60Hz. For HP docks, please use the following document

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168358

>>>>>> what should be the max (external montitor) resolution supported by the laptop's integrated AMD radeon Vega 8 graphics card? Or what are the modes it could support in general?

At the end of the day, depending on actual available PORTS and DOCKS of  notebooks.

Regards.

BH

>
bitsnbytes2
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Again,

I am looking at the spec but I am not becoming wiser and I hope you could give me some answers.

This is from the spec:

bitsnbytes2_0-1656677824223.png

1. Does the USB C gen 2 port support DisplayPort "Alternate Mode"?
  2. Would a non-displaylink DisplayPort hub work for 2 Screens via 2xDisplayPort? I found this i-tec USB-C Dual Display Docking Station with Dual DisplayPort and power delivery.
  3. Since it is sold as USB3.1 Type-C Gen 2, the data transfer should have been up to 10 Gb/s (see e.g. here). Is it a typo in the spec or is it really for some reason up to 5 Gb/s?

Appreciated!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation