cancel
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 1 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black screen (safe mode boot only)

I purchased my Hp pavilion in the middle of 2007... crap!

My problem is that, when Windows Error Recovery shows up at startup (at this point u can deduce my black screen problem is not inconditional), the black screen will go away only if I startup the PC on safe mode. 
The screen works, but only goes black when Windows starts 'normally'. The sing song sound that indicates that windows has startes up work (prompting you to enter your password) but no screen. Again, this only happens on 'normal' mode; safe mode works fine. 
P.S. I recently installed some drivers (using DriverMax), and if I remember correctly the computer shut down during a prompted restart (b/c of a power outtage, didnt have battery on) and problems persists since then. 

Any suggestions? Helpful comments will be greatly appreciated!
23 REPLIES 23
Provost
Provost
49520 49491 9892 16574
Message 2 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The easiest way to solve this may be to run Windows System Restore.  If you have Norton Internet Security installed, you will need to disable Nortons Tamper Protection as shown in Step 2, on the link below.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20091112171719EN&ln=en_US

Windows System Restore is usually best run in Safe Mode anyway.  When this has loaded, from the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point before you updated the drivers and then proceed with the restore process.  When complete, restart and see if Windows will boot as normally.

If the above doesn't help, another option you could try is to boot into Safe Mode again, open windows Device Manager, open up Display Adapter, right click on the device listed here and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab and then click Uninstall Driver - when this has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Highlighted
BHofmann Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the very same problem on an HP Envy 17 after a failed installation of a new version of the display drivers, which I even did not notice and rememeber.

However as an additional experience, I have found out that everything still works ok with an external display when starting Windows normally.

Suprisingly, when I look at the HP drivers download page, there is only an older version of the display drivers available, not the one that failed installation on my system. I can't remember anymore whether I got this newer version through the HP support assistant or through Windows update.

I will now try to go back to a restore point and/or try to install that older versions of the display driver.

Regards,

Bea

0 Kudos
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 4 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your replies.

Here we go: I have restored my HP to a previous point, several timea as a matter of fact, and the PC still has the black screen on normal mode. Again, everything I'm able to do is using safe mode... I'm getting frustrated!

I'm considering doing a factory restore, hopefully that fixes the problem. Any more suggestiona? Will be greatly appreciated.

P.s. Im thinking about my next laptop being a Macintosh. What do y'all think (this alone may deserve discussion entirely haha so don't worry about answering or not)? Anyways people, thanks for your replies... Much appreciated.

Regards,

D
0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
49520 49491 9892 16574
Message 5 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Just so that I'm clear, did you try deleting the graphics driver in Safe Mode and then reboot - if you did was there any change at all?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 6 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi DP-K,
I havent tried deleting any drivers whatsoever. What i have tried, just now, is 1) roll back the display driver (and nvidia geforce one) and 2) restore windows to a point before i even installed the driver max software (from which this recent issue arised). After this restore the 'normal' boot came up, but only for the user sign in part... I entered my password, and screen went black again, back to point zero. :'(

Please help...!

Thanks guys
0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
49520 49491 9892 16574
Message 7 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I really would try the following.

Boot into Safe Mode again, open windows Device Manager, open up Display Adapter, right click on the device listed here and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab and then click Uninstall Driver - when this has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 8 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will try that. Thanks

Will inform u of news

Thanks dpk!
0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
49520 49491 9892 16574
Message 9 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok :generic:

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 10 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, cool deal the screen works now in normal mode... Nice!

However (oh no haha) i have this window popping up at startup saying:
Windows will now finush installing software from the manufacturer of this device - NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 [gives me two options to click]
FINISH INSTALLING SOFTWARE (RECOMMENDED) or ASK ME AGAIN LATER

what should i do DP-K?
Your guidelines have been immensely helpful, but this last bit of help will be forever and even more crucial.

Awaiting your valued and accustomed support

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation