Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9890 16545
Message 11 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black screen (safe mode boot only)

Hi,

I'd go with what Windows is suggesting and let it finish the installation ( this can always be undone again if necessary ).

If everything looks Ok when the installation has completed, leave it for a couple of minutes and then try a restart to make sure the notebook still boots into Windows normally.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 12 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi dpk

After all the aforementioned, the machine boots now automatically into Safe mode with networking support, i.e. It doesnt even gove he option to select Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe mode with core drivera, or Start Windows Normally.

Geez! Please help me again dpk, ur help IS TRULY [much] appreciated
0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9890 16545
Message 13 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Let the notebook boot into Safe mode with networking and when this has fully loaded, hold down the Windows Key and press R.  Into the Run Box type msconfig and hit enter.  Check the following:

On the General tab make sure 'Normal Start-up' is selected.

On the Boot tab, make sure that there is no tick in the box next to Safe boot - if there is, click the box to remove it.

If you have made changes to either of the above Two options, click Apply and Ok to save the setting.

Restart the notebook to apply the change.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 14 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cool deal... By the way dpk, im gonna dare ask:
What do u think of pc vs mac ? And please dont say "depends what u want it for" cuz thats what everybody says heheheh. What i mean yo ask is regarding overall performance and durability... Are macs as good as ppl argue (of course most ppl who own mac will justify their overpriced purchase of this toy/machine) but im dying to know nonetheless, what if i get a mac? Will i be disappointed in any or some way?

Ok... Just did what u said, notebook rebooted back in safe mode my dear mentor. Oh no... I might just do a factory reset. Ive all my important info in an external drive so all cool there... What should i do now? And How do u do a factory reset in case i need that?

Thanks in advance for your continued support.

Regards,

D
0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9890 16545
Message 15 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Mac?  I'll have to google that Smiley Happy  Seriously, I'll give it some thought and let you know.

Regarding reinstalling the OS, am I correct in assuming you have Windows Vista installed?  If this is the case, try the procedure on the link below tittled 'Starting the Recovery from the Hard Drive and the Computer is off'.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00814731

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 16 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok. My main concern: will i have to purchase Office ? I know this recpvery deal works with partition and all but i dpnt have disc for microsoft office. And Its been 4 yrs since i bought the notebook and honestly cannot remember if word, poeerpoint and all came preinstalled or if i got a disc. Will i be alroght here?
0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9890 16545
Message 17 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Open windows Control Panel and open Programs and Features - what version of Microsoft Office is listed here?  Do you have an Activation Key for this?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
BHofmann Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 18 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I could solve my problem by installing the display drivers that were available from the HP drivers download page. Now everything works fine again. I only get now via Windows Update again an offer for updating the display drivers to a newer version, which I will never do again. :)

Regards,

Bea

0 Kudos
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 19 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey dpk, hows it going?

I did a system restore to manufacturer settings and it worked like a charm, for that first boot!
I set the pc in sleep mode b/c i had to go to bed and left it in sleep all day the next day while i was away at work... But when i came back it wasnt in sleep mode but rather it was off! Ive seen this happen before so i didnt heed much attention to it, except when i turned the pc back on the same black screen in normal mode appeared. Despite restoring factory settings i was bck in step 1: safe mode only usage.

Any more suggestions/comments oh wise ones?

Regards,

D
0 Kudos
DanielM Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 20 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Help?

BTW, 'bout to do factory restore second time in 2 days :/
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation