Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Stream

Hi,

I am getting the black screen on start up, have tried holding down the power button, then turn it off and on, have tried pressing the esc button, then tried the control+alt+delete button, nothing is working?

The on button is 'white' and not blinking.....?

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I will go through the process to log a technial job, as none of the trouble shooting options have worked.

Thanks again

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@selbel

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there is a black screen & the computer doesn't boot into windows,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

Which Operating System are you using with this computer?

Did you check if there's display on an external display by connecting a TV or a monitor to your notebook?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you may attempt:

Step 1: Performing a hard reset

Resetting the computer can resolve many issues that cause a blank screen. Use the steps in Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset to reset your notebook.

Step 2: Connecting an external monitor to test the display

The notebook screen display might remain black when there is a corrupted graphics driver or a problem with the LCD display back light. To test the display, attach an external monitor and restart the computer. Testing with an external display is helpful if the notebook display is black but you can hear sounds; such as fans, spinning drives, or beep tones that indicate the computer is operating.

Step 3: Recovering the notebook BIOS using a key press combination

When you upgrade the BIOS on your notebook, a copy of the previous BIOS version is stored in the HP_TOOLS partition of your hard drive. Many HP notebook computers have an emergency BIOS recovery feature that allows you to recover and install the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive, as long as the hard drive remains functional. This emergency recovery feature is separate from the BIOS and is designed to work in the event of a catastrophic BIOS failure.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Riddle_Decipher - see info requested as follows - 

Product number = P4Y01PA#ABG

Operating system is = Windows 10

Checked if there's a display on an external display by connecting to my TV - no connection noted or response.

on your Step 2 - there deffinietly is no - sounds such as fans, spinning drives, or beep tones that indicate the computer is operating.

When I press the power button, I press is quickly, the light come on and is white, but there is no sounds to indicate that the computer is operating? and still a black screen when I connect to my tv?

HP Recommended

@selbel

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

If the external monitor doesn't have a display either, that may confirm that the issue is with the video card or the BIOS,

I recommend the below steps:

Use these steps even if you cannot see anything on the monitor:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Connect the notebook to a power source using the power adapter.

3. Press and hold the Windows key () and the B key at the same time while the computer is off.
  4. While still pressing the Windows key and the B key, hold down the Power button on the notebook for one second, and then release the Power button and the keys.

The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds. You might hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically.

Step 4: Reseating the memory modules

A computer might not display an image if a memory module is loose. Reseating the memory modules might resolve blank screen issues. To reseat the memory module, follow the steps in this section to remove the memory module from the memory slot, and then put it back into the slot to get a better connection so that the computer can recognize the memory.

If the issue persists, Contact HP to set up a hardware repair service:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will go through the process to log a technial job, as none of the trouble shooting options have worked.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Hi @selbel, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, please contact our phone support for the service options available and let me know how it goes. 

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

the hard cases.  (thin and no  battery lid)

the screen never ever shows text right>? fan DEAD !

HP Stream Notebook - 11-r007tu

that is the model in full, as the TAG says.

if BIOS is dead , step 1 is battery out , I bet that will  be the step that ends this post. (the service manual will show how)

battery out

then step to 19vdc on the AC power pack plugged.  no battery if this fails the PC is very sick, stop.

there is reset in the manual, (cant do the old style battery out reset ) so HP added a new way

do that yet>?

ever find this yet

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-stream-11-r000-notebook-pc/8499339/model/8959551/troubleshoo...

that is your support page,  unlike other makers, its VASTLY better, HP rules, in DOC !

ever try to fix a toshiba,  yah, no docs... or learn to read Japanese>?

that page has  dead pc choice read that yet?

the fan is dead, i push no. here for fan dead.

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=NoPowerorBootIssues.net&as=true&SFS=sdoc&section=ccweb&langu...

you do not see battery compartment door,

see that

line pack unpluged push power for 15 sec

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=NoPowerorBootIssues.net&as=true&SFS=sdoc&section=ccweb&langu...

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

fan dead is the key words.

if not up to pulling battery connector 

then ask any PC  shop on earth  fix it

they all know the batteries, love to fails. (they also like to short or even make smoke /fire read the news?)

some can fail in 300 cycles. (per battery makers data sheets, )

personally i dont own PCs with no battery lids.  (in fact on long trips , i have 2 or 3 spare batteries, at all times)

what good is a PC with shorted battery its a brick.

thin is IN
utiliity is OUT.

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.