Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday afternoon I left my computer idle for about an hour, I presume it went into suspended mode and then the screen stopped working. The screen lights up but it is black.

I restarted the computer to no avail, then tried hooking up to the TV via HDMI and that works fine. 

I've tried updating all my drivers, even BIOS and I have reset Windows to factory settings as well. Still no luck. 

I noticed that the HP setting had the "search for updates" set for the date and time when the issue happened. And I also noticed Nvidia released an update for the driver TODAY. I've installed that but still no luck.

I've also tried disabling the device from Device Manager.
Also hard resetting the computer holding the power key for 30 seconds. 

Basically everything I've read in all the other posts with a similar problem.

At this point I am very certain it's a software issue, and that it was caused by whatever updates the HP software ran during that idle time yesterday.

Here's a screenshot of my NVIDIA control panel and GPU/Driver details:

nmilanow_0-1630422085990.png

nmilanow_1-1630422229795.png

Please I need help with this thing, I need this laptop for work!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for nothing HP, your support on the phone were more worried about getting out of the warranty rather than lending a hand and when they finally did their solutions were "have you tried turning it off and on again."

So here's what I did in case someone else has this issue:

I updated all the drivers I could, GeForce, HP, Intel, everything. That didn't work, so I tried the BIOS which I had left for last. That didn't do it, then I tried returning Windows to factory settings. That didn't work either.

Then I noticed a driver update today in the GeForce site, so I installed that, then updated all other drivers again and finally BIOS, and it worked.

I have to say it was too much of a coincidence that HP seemed to have run some update at that particular day and time and the screen stops working. Then the very next day GeForce releases a driver update? And it solved the problem, not without some added effort.

Sounds to me like HP **bleep**ed us up bad (I'm not alone as for what I hear) and my whole experience with support was them figuring out a way to get out of paying for a fix instead of listening and helping.

By the way, I can't adjust the screen brightness still. I hope further updates will end up fixing that. Thanks for nothing HP.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Thanks for nothing HP, your support on the phone were more worried about getting out of the warranty rather than lending a hand and when they finally did their solutions were "have you tried turning it off and on again."

So here's what I did in case someone else has this issue:

I updated all the drivers I could, GeForce, HP, Intel, everything. That didn't work, so I tried the BIOS which I had left for last. That didn't do it, then I tried returning Windows to factory settings. That didn't work either.

Then I noticed a driver update today in the GeForce site, so I installed that, then updated all other drivers again and finally BIOS, and it worked.

I have to say it was too much of a coincidence that HP seemed to have run some update at that particular day and time and the screen stops working. Then the very next day GeForce releases a driver update? And it solved the problem, not without some added effort.

Sounds to me like HP **bleep**ed us up bad (I'm not alone as for what I hear) and my whole experience with support was them figuring out a way to get out of paying for a fix instead of listening and helping.

By the way, I can't adjust the screen brightness still. I hope further updates will end up fixing that. Thanks for nothing HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.