Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

For those of you having the issue where the webcam is not detected or poor image quality.

Please call into HP support and have them setup a service event for this.

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem with the webcam on my laptop. It doesn't get detected at all. Imaging devices itself is not showing up.

Haven't found a solution in the last ten months. Have tried online HP support many a time but they can't figure out the problem. The laptop is still under warranty but am unable to find the time to take it to a support centre. This seems to be a widespread problem on HP laptops. There are lots of people with the same issue but no solutions that I can find.

The details of the laptop are given below for your reference

Product name: HP pavilion dv6 notebook PC

Product Number: WW140AV

Will appreciate any help that I can get on this...

Thanks

HP Recommended

These are my details:

USB\VID_064E&PID_E258&REV_0400&MI_00

Product Number: QF273EA#ACQ

Thank You

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  Seems to be a wide spread problem.  Tried online support.  Was told I would have to wipe my hard drive and do a full recovery.  Seems a little suspicious as we all know it had to be an update that did it.  Surely a full recovery will only result in the same problem when all of the updates are applied.  It would be more helpful if HP would find the offending update and create a patch.

As to finding my webcam vendor id.  The webcam doesn't even show up in my device manager.  Somebody boo-boo'd big time!  Got any more bright ideas?

HP Recommended

Method for locating missing webcam information:

Start Button

Search (for files)

USBDeview

click to run

usbdview.jpg

Under description look for USB Video Device

click that

A properties window will open with all the information relevant to that device.

The value for Instance ID: should look something like "\VID_5986&PID_02AC&MI_00\7&25c760b5&0&0000"

And, the value for Device Class: should be "Image"

properties.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi, I have a HP Dv6 6190us and the webcam sometimes work, sometimes don't.I discovered that it happens mostly when I move the lid of the laptop.

So i`m using the webcam and when i move the lid it keeps going on and off making that sound of when you find a driver. Sometimes it keeps making that sound until I move the lid again. I think it's a hardware problem, but not sure.

So, my instance id is:

USB\VID_5986&PID_02AC&MI_00\7&1a483840&0&0000

USB\VID_5986&PID_02AC&MI_00\7&25c760b5&0&0000

Yes, I have 2 USB video device in USBDeview.

HP Recommended

Hello All,

I am new here to this forum but I felt as if I should share my frustration and success with this issue.  I too had that same problem with my webcam suddenly not being detected on my HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx.  I had purchased my laptop from Best Buy and it worked great for about 2 months.  I took it back immediatley when my webcam stopped working the first time.  I was told by the Geek Squad after confirming with device manager of this laptop that it was not being detected on the list.  Tney sent it back to Louisville, KY for repairs.  About 10 days later I received a call to go and pick it up from the store I had taken it to.  Whle there, I asked the Geek Agent to confirm to me that it was working properly.  He fired up the laptop and attempted to open the YouCam program.  Guess what....?  Nothing...Nada...Zilch... The laptop came back with the webcam still not working. 

I asked him to show me the populated list on the device manager and this is where I felt that the Henderson, NV store was trying to get one over on me.  He told me that it was a software issue and that I needed to pay $199 for their product service plan.  I did not pay the money.  I took the laptop home and did a factory reset and did not install anything beyond that.  I looked in the device manager again immediately after the reset and the webcam was still not listed.

I went to a different Best Buy and spoke with the Customer Service Manager and requested that they listen to my troubleshooting and use some common sense that this was no longer a "possible" software issue.  It was confirmed a hardware issue.  He agreed and sent it back a second time to KY with priority service.  Less than a week later I received a call from the manager stating, "a wecam connection wire had come loose and became completely disconnected within the lid of the laptop, this is a common problem with this model"  A little time sacrifice on my behalf backing up all my data and trying a factory reset saved me $199.  Moral of the story...Don't believe everything a Geek Agent tells you....

It has been 2 weeks since I have had my laptop back and have noticed severe tiling (squares) while using Skype.  Does anyone have this issue?  Do I have a new problem?

HP Recommended

it is possible that the wire connection to your webcam had become disconnected as was my issue.  I had to have my dv7 sent back to HP in Kentucky twice before they corrected this same issue.

HP Recommended

most likely, the driver seems to be there...

HP Recommended

It would be nice if you could provide an HP contact number.  Think about it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.