Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
fleabit Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brightness/Keyboard Illumination Keys Not Working

HP Envy 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing the Windows 10 update, I found that the brightness control and keyboard illumination buttons no longer work, and my screen's brightness is locked on the highest setting. I've tried following the directions posted here, but while I was following the prompts on the second download, a message appeared that said something like my computer did not meet the minimum requirements to install the software.

OS Build: 10586.420

Product ID: 00326-10000-00000-AA934

Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Installed RAM: 8.00GB

System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

1 REPLY
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brightness/Keyboard Illumination Keys Not Working

Hey @fleabit,

First, I would like to welcome you to the HP Support Forums! Here at the forums, you have many community members that will help you toward a solution with the brightness keys not working for you. 

Did you happen to do any Windows Updates before this happened?

If you boot into Safe Mode, can you change the Brightness using the keys?

Have the Brightness function keys worked at all since you upgraded to Windows 10?

Please follow these provided troubleshooting steps: 

• Start
  • Search for Device Manager
  • Open Device Manager from the Search results.
  • Click View
  • Show Hidden Devices.
  • Click the arrow next to Keyboards.
  • Right-click the keyboard device name.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
  • Restart the notebook twice.  

I found a troubleshooting document for you to try called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting

Have you tried to Uninstall and Reinstall the Display Adapter? If not, please follow the steps below:

• Select Start, 
  • Type in Device Manager. 
  • Click On Device Manager, 
  • Right Click on Display Adapter, 
  • Click on Uninstall,
  • Restart the Notebook twice,  

If that does not work, you could try the same steps, except instead of "Search automatically", please click on:

• Browse my computer for driver software,
  • Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, 
  • Choose Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
  • Click next. 

You could also try following these steps on How to Change Screen Brightness:

• Select Start,

• Type in "Display", 

• Click on Display settings,

• Use the slide bar or turn the automatic adjustment on or off.

You can reinstall the driver by running the HP Support Assistant instead. It will help with the software and drivers on your system at the time of purchase or that need updating.

Here is a document for you to Change the Brightness on the Screen manually as well. 

If that does not work, I found a document for you called Display Is Dim or Difficult to Read. Please follow the troubleshooting steps provided in the documentation.  I know that it says Windows 8, but it will still work for Windows 10. 

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?).

Thanks!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation