Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8560p Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello to the Community!

I'm missing the brightness and volume display bar on my screen. The hotkeys are working fine.

I found here in the forum one user who had the same problem. He solved the issue with sp55152.exe but he uses a different notebook model. I don't know whether this solution applies to my Elitebook 8560p as well.

Maybe someone can help.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe that the sp55152 file will work just fine for your notebook.

HP On-Screen Display Utility

This package provides the HP On-Screen Display Utility for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The HP On-Screen Display Utility enables the pop-up graphic displays that are shown on the screen when certain characteristics, such as volume or brightness, are changed.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55152.exe 

You can see from the release notes that it works on a variety of HP business and consumer class notebooks.

https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/736/col44070-ob-106851-2-ob-106851-2_sp55152.html 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick reply.

I just tried the sp55152.exe. It worked but it's not the display bar I had on my Elitebook. The original bar was much better, placed on the bottom of the screen, colored.

Is there a chance to get the original back? I can't tell you why I lost the display bar. It was just gone and never came back.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Unfortunately I wouldn't know how you would be able to get the original OSD indicator software back. 

HP Recommended

Still trying to find a solution. I found sp52956 which helped others. I installed it but the result was nothing. I used system restore again, and before trying the next possiblity, I better ask you first: What do you think of deleting the IconCache.db in the AppData/Local folder?  It was suggested in a Win7-forum and helped one user: Deleting, restarting, and the bar is back on the screen. Because I'm not knowing what I'm doing, I hesitate to try it. I don't want to loose other icons.

Another thing I found out about my computer: My Catalyst Control Center is no longer working. Can't be started, therefore nothing to configure. Do you think this may influence the problem with the brightness and volume bar? But: Sometimes I'm using a HP Elitebook 8560p with integrated graphics, therefore no CCC, and the bar works well on this laptop. 

I probably lost the CCC when I installed the drivers for the integrated graphics model to change the hdd between the different 8560p-models.  I don't know if there is a relation. Maybe it was just a Win7-Update that caused the loss of the bar.

Thank you for any help and answer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.