Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (3,131 Views)

Brightness buttons not working in Windows 10

Product Name: HP 255 G3
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have an HP 255 G3 Notebook running Windows 10 64-bit.

The brightness buttons (f2 and f3) are not working for brightness adjustments. Nothing happens when the buttons are pressed. The othe buttons are working fine (for example volume adjustment f7 and f8).

Any ideas on how I can make the buttons work?

Kind regards

Joey

Honor Student
Message 2 of 6 (3,039 Views)

Re: Brightness buttons not working in Windows 10

I just did clean install after update and my brightness keys are not working either! If there is fix please include me in post, thanks!

Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (3,009 Views)

hello....... broher i have same problem,,,,, what i will do....... please help me............. this problem after updating windows 10,,,,,,,,,,, try more process but i'm failure............. f7 and f8 also fine working...........

help any one.............. please

Honor Student
Message 4 of 6 (2,991 Views)

I have an AMD lap top and AMD'S latest graphics driver disables the brightness keys for some reason so i went to device manager (windows button + X  ------>  Display Adapter-------> click on grapics card------> driver tab------> update driver)

after i did that windows searched for driver and updated and right after that the brightness keys worked! Hope this helps!

Student
Message 5 of 6 (2,540 Views)

Same here, it was working after I got the update, but then it just stopped.

Student
Message 6 of 6 (1,594 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hyperdude,

Your post didn't work exactly as you described, but it got me in the right direction. The window +X didn't bring up any display but I went into the device manager (which you can just press Windows and type "device manager"). There was acatually a caution triangle over the display adapter. I tried your trick with the update. It told me that it was already up to date. I contemplated what to do next.

I disabled the driver. I was afraid it would shut my screen off, but it didn't since it wasn't working then anyway. I enabled it. Then the screen did shut off. But just to re-enable it and then immediately the buttons worked again. Brightness was controlled.

This worked for me, so again, thanks for putting me there so I could try this other trouble shooting that may help somebody else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation