01-19-2020 04:43 AM
I have a weird problem with CPU throttling. Laptop works fine on battery, but the moment I plug in the charging cable, CPU slows down to 400mhz. FPS in games falls drastically and laptop becomes useless. If I disconnect the cable, it works at full power again, instantly. I have read about similar problems, and most people solve it either by BIOS update or by replacing the power adapter (if it is not powerful enough). I tried that and it does not help - no matter what I try, CPU throttles at 400mhz when plugged in. CPU in question is AMD Ryzen 5 3550H, and laptop is Pavilion 15-ec0016nm.
Here is what I tried so far:
- I re-installed windows 10
- I checked my power adapter - it is official HP 150W adapter provided with laptop (which should be enough)
- I reset all BIOS settings to default
- I updated the BIOS to the newest version
- I updated all CPU and other drivers to newest versions
- Under the windows power settings, I created a custom power plan and set min and max CPU power state to 100%
- In GeForce experience app I disabled whisper mode and battery boost, everything that could artificially slow down the CPU
- I made sure I'm not using any other programs that could interfere with CPU function
Since I use the laptop for gaming, this situation is very frustrating. I would appreciate any help!
01-21-2020 10:49 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community!
I reviewed your post and I understand that the CPU throttles when the AC adapter is connected.
Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.
I see that you have already followed all the relevant troubleshooting steps and I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.
Here is how you can get in touch with support.
1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
2)Select the product type.
3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
4)Select the country from the drop-down.
5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.
Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!
I am an HP Employee