Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Camera covers itself

HP EliteBook x360 1040 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Update: I am a complete idiot, I did not realise that this is an inbuilt cover that can be manually operated by the little lever just above the camera (it's even visible in the picture). I am really sorry for my stupidity 😅

Hello everyone

I have an issue with my inbuilt webcam. For some reason, it "deactivated" itself. I don't know why or how, but after not having used it for some time (leaving it covered) I can not get it to display an image anymore. My apps (e.g. skype, hangouts or the camera itself) will activate it, but there's only black screen with some slight light falling in. This seems to be caused by some kind of striped cover that appeared in front of it (picture provided, the weird layer is behind the glass). 

camera picture.jpeg

I need my camera for my studies currently and I already managed to get rid of that "layer" once, but I can't remember how and it returned after a day (at first only covering half the camera, then all of it).

I already tried installing a new universal camera driver (from the HP website), looked for updates in the Device Manager for both Camera options (HP Full-HD Camera and HP IR Camera) as well as the one in Imaging Devices (Brother MFC-J4710DW) but nothing has worked.

I'd be extremely grateful for any kind of help or information.

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation