laparin Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I change the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS with the new one in my HP Pavilion dv6880se laptop?

Hi,

It looks like there is some problem with the graphic card in my laptop.

Can I replace or change the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS with the new one in my HP Pavilion dv6880se laptop?

Will appreciate someone's help here to resolve this issue.

Thanks

laparin

7 REPLIES
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
410 45 84
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I change the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS with the new one in my HP Pavilion dv6880se laptop?

Hi Laparin,

The service guide I have on this unit if you have a HP Pavilion dv6880se Influx Special Edition Entertainment. If you don't have this unit please provide me a full P/N number so I can find the unit.

But if you own this unit. you won't be able to replace the graphic card

Zincas
I am an HP notebook/printer technician.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
laparin Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot Zincas for your quick reply.

I have HP Pavilion dv6880se Influx Special Edition Entertainment Notebook PC.

Your reply doesn't sound positive. You said I wont be able to replace the graphic card i.e. NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS.

What is the best option available for me so that I can start using my laptop again? Hope there is a solution exists for this problem. Will appreciate help in this situation.

Thanks

laparin 

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
410 45 84
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The problem with this model is the graphic card and motherboard are 1 part together. So if the graphic card is dead you will need to replace the motherboard to.

I'm sorry to tell you that.

Zincas

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
laparin Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot Zincas for spending time to help me out. I really appreciate your efforts.

This is bad news Zincas.

In this case, which motherboard shoul I buy and how much will it cost to me? Should I also have to buy NVIDIA Graphic card in addition to the motherboard?

Thanks
laparin
0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
410 45 84
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi laparin,

Yes this is really bad news.

1. I was not able to see where you could buy this motherboard. But I was able to find the part number for it.

MB sparepart number: 460900-001

2. No you don't need to buy new graphic card since the MB and graphic card is 1 that will say that with the new mb will there come a new graphic card.

Zincas

0 Kudos
MotherT Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know about HP laptops - but I have an ACER 7720 6794 (top of the line in 2008) and it has an

NVidia GeForce 8400M GS  (yes - a real seperate video card in a laptop).

Mine went bad... Finding a prelacement was the problem.   I finally found one in Singapore though - and three weeks later when it got here, installed it  (there is actually a video on how to do this on my Acer 7720 on YouTube).

Works great.   NOTE:  Don't forget to use the HeatSink stuff.  Heat is the enemy of laptops.

Hope this helps...  That techEE may be right bout the card being tied to the motherboard if it's an HP... You might want to open your omputer and look for the video card - after you do a search on YouTube to see if there are any videos for your computer on how to remove / and replace it.  Good luck... 

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Retired Duane_D
Retired
4641 51 154
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! Thank you for your posting and helpful input. 

However, I have closed this thread to help keep the comments timely. If you have more to add, please start a new thread. Click here if you want to learn more about how to start a new conversation/thread.

Please post in a new thread for better exposure. It may also be helpful if you posted a few more details about your computer/printer and your issues.

1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you!"

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation