Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 15 - 2020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd like to connect my Spectre 15 to an external monitor via one of my usb c ports. Is this possible?
I purchased a HP Dock G2 230w and the monitor does not work via this. The dock works for ethernet and external storage but not for sharing my display. Having spoken with HP support I now understand that the G2 dock is not compatible with the Spectre range.

The laptop has a HDMI port and the external monitor works when using this but I would much prefer to use one of the usb-c ports instead as it is a lot neater.

I hoped a usb-c to hdmi cable would solve the problem but I have an oldish cable here for use with my phone and when i try to connect the Spectre via this, the monitor is not recognised by the Spectre and the monitor says there is no signal. 

Is the only means of attaching an external monitor via HDMI? Do none of the usb-c ports support video out?

I'm hoping that i just need a newer usb-c to hdmi cable that supports thunderbolt and this will solve the issue but I want to clarify first before ordering one online. Thanks in advance for any help. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MonsterFish 

Please use the setup as shown on page 16 of the following document. New Spectre should have Thunderbolt™ 3 port(s).

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168358

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to reply but my question wasn't in regards to the dock. I've already been told by HP support that the dock is not compatible with the Spectre range.

What I would like to know is if the usb c ports on my spectre are capable of outputting video/audio to an external monitor.

If I were to get a usb-c to hdmi cable would this work or do I need to use the hdmi out on the spectre to connect to an external monitor. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.