Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

LAPTOP

HP ENVY SPECTRE 14T-3100 NOTEBOOK

WINDOWS:

Window 8.1, preferred over 8.0

QUESTION:

Is there any way to turn off the LED light next to my webcam?

The build quality of the laptop allows for light to pass over the webcam, creating a terrible picture from it. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello wowlau,

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I understand you would like to turn off the light next to the webcam. I will do what I can to assist you!

This light is known as the "webcam light". It is shining while turned on. To turn off the light, you will need to turn off the webcam. If you want to turn it off:

1. Go into Control Panel.

2. Click on Hardware and Sound.

3. Click on Device Manager.

4. Go to Imaging Devices, and double-click on the webcam entry that appears below it.

5. Go to the Driver tab, and click Disable. Confirm it if asked to do so.

This should turn off the webcam, as well as the light. If you want to enable it in the future, follow the same five instructions above. Just click Enable instead of Disable.

These steps should help you out. Either way, please provide your results. Thanks again for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Im not trying to disable my webcam, I want to use it with out the light turing on..

HP Recommended

According to the manual, there is no way to do this. If you are using the webcam, the light will be on. The only possible suggestion is to adjust the power settings to be as low as possible.

Mario

HP Recommended

Hi

I use a Hp 2000-2312TU Notebook laptop. The webcam uses only one LED. is there any way to make both the LEDs on?

HP Recommended

Hello @Suchi_IIT ,

I looked up this notebook's manual, and I have found no indication of what you are asking.

Mario

HP Recommended
Hello
What I meant is that when I am using the webecam, only one light adjacent to the webcam is on. The light on the other side of the webcam is never on. Is there a way to do it?
HP Recommended

a little bit of black fingernail polish...find a color than matches surrounding area near light. Use a very tiny artist brush, apply one coat, let dry, test to see if light can still be seen. If so, apply another coat...repeat until you can no longer see the light. It can later be removed with polish remover...preferably one that does not contain acetone as this may damage plastic.

Sometimes you just gotta think outside the box.  You could spend hours searching for the file code that tells the light to turn on, and delete that code from the program. or take a quick trip to local store and buy some nail polish from the discount bin,

HP Recommended

The second "LED" is not a light... it is your microphone. 

HP Recommended

Mario,

Goodday i folowed each step of your instruction in disabling the camera but the light is still ON. Can you suggest another step? Thank you.

Regards,

Jarom30

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.