artisticcheese Tutor
Tutor
10 5 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I use docking station with just Thunderbolt port?

Hello,

Notebook is super noisy and dock wire is way too short to put it somewhere far away. I though may be it's possible just pluging power into notebook and connect docking station via Thunderbolt only but not sure if it will work and if docking station in fact needs external power which thunderbold cable will not be able to provide.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17842 17794 1442 2467
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@artisticcheese

Welcome to HP Forums,  
this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out :) 

As I understand you need information on noise on the HP Laptop and also 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

What is your computer model name, product number, and OS installed on your computer? Click here to find the information.

Have you updated the BIOS to rid of the noise?

If you haven't, while I await your response, please do the same:

Updating your Notebook computer BIOS

After computers are released, HP may distribute an updated BIOS to manage the fan, CPU power loads, and other components. To see if there is a newer BIOS update, you should determine what version of the BIOS is currently installed on your computer, and then determine if there is a more recent version available.

For complete information on finding your current BIOS version as well as instruction for updating your notebook computer BIOS, see Updating the BIOS (not for Android or ChromeOS devices).

For more details on HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal: Click here

In order that I may provide information on the docking station, I'll need the product details, the OS and the model name of your docking station as well.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 
Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
artisticcheese Tutor
Tutor
10 5 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On latest EVERYTHING on my Zbook and fan is going crazy anytime I do anything even remotely considered CPU intensive. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one experiencing it. I gave up on fixing fan issue and want to move this thing away as far as possible.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation