Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
DonFluffels Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't adjust brightness

Envy x360

Recently I noticed that i cannot adjust the brightness on my ENVY laptop. This is a main issue because having a bright screen in a dim lecture hall hurts the eyes. Also for some reason, once i plug in the power cord, the option to adjust the brightness happens. I've tried updating the drivers, and nothing has changed. I have also tried using a previous version of the drivers. Nothing has worked so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16065 1056 1736
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't adjust brightness

Hi @DonFluffels,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having an issue with the adjusting the brightness. I will be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

What is the Operating System installed on the PC?

Has your computer completed all of its important Windows Updates?

Have you updated your HP drivers using the HP Support Assistant?

Is this an on-going, or recent issue?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

HP and Compaq Flat Panel Displays - Display Quality Issues - Click here

HP Notebook PCs - Resolving Problems with Notebook Displays (Windows 7 and Windows 8) - Click here

I would suggest you try to update the bios, chipset and graphics drivers first from HP support website, click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't adjust brightness

My product number is W2K56UA#ABA. The current operating system is windows 10, and currently, all of the drivers are up to date. The BIOS was updated through HP's installer and the issue is still ongiong. All updates have been completed, and so far the issue still persists. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 821 1386
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't adjust brightness

@DonFluffels

Thank you so much for replying with the exact model no. 

I suggest you to perform the steps described in detail from this link: http://hp.care/2j5NAcc

NOTE: This link provides steps to fix brightness issues as well.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted. I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. All the best! :)

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't adjust brightness

The main issue that I am having, is that the f2 and f3 keys designated to adjust the brightness will not work unless my laptop is connected to a power source. I do not want to perform a hard reset unless this is necessary. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
8121 482 905
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't adjust brightness

Thanks for the reply, recommend you update all the drivers including BIOS using HP Support Assistant. Click here

If the keys are responding if the computer is connected to the power source, please check the power management settings for running in battery. Check the battery saver settings as well, if it is enabled to reduce the brightness then the buttons might not work to control the brightness when running battery. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't adjust brightness

After checking the settings to make sure that there were no conflictions, I am still unable to adjust the brightness with the deignated buttons unless connected to a power source. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
8121 482 905
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't adjust brightness

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to try step 2 mentioned in this article and also try step 3 and let me know if you are able to change the brightness. 

Keep me posted.

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation