Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ProBook 450 G3 (T3L12UT#ABA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a Probook 450 G3, a model that only comes with onboard graphics.  I see in the manual though that a dedicated graphics card (if I'm reading it correctly) is an option for the laptop.  I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this can be added later on (say I'm on a budget and can only afford the model without dedicated graphics, but may be able to upgrade down the road)?

Thank you,

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Phil:

There are no provisions to add a graphics 'card' in your notebook like you can with many desktop PC's.

On most notebooks, the GPU's are part of the system board.

Dedicated GPU's have a graphics memory system separate from the PC's memory system, and can also use some of that system memory if necessary.

So in order to have a dedicated graphics system in your notebook, the entire motherboard would have to be replaced with one listed in the service manual that has the switchable graphics feature.

Doing this would be very costly and labor intensive.

Only the most expensive HP business mobile workstations may still have various graphics cards offered.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, Phil:

There are no provisions to add a graphics 'card' in your notebook like you can with many desktop PC's.

On most notebooks, the GPU's are part of the system board.

Dedicated GPU's have a graphics memory system separate from the PC's memory system, and can also use some of that system memory if necessary.

So in order to have a dedicated graphics system in your notebook, the entire motherboard would have to be replaced with one listed in the service manual that has the switchable graphics feature.

Doing this would be very costly and labor intensive.

Only the most expensive HP business mobile workstations may still have various graphics cards offered.

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks for the answer.  I had a feeling that was the case.  I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Phil

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Phil.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.