Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Philner
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can you add video card to Probook 450 G3?

ProBook 450 G3 (T3L12UT#ABA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a Probook 450 G3, a model that only comes with onboard graphics.  I see in the manual though that a dedicated graphics card (if I'm reading it correctly) is an option for the laptop.  I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this can be added later on (say I'm on a budget and can only afford the model without dedicated graphics, but may be able to upgrade down the road)?

Thank you,

Phil

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
109,651 99,828 15,580 23,940
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi, Phil:

There are no provisions to add a graphics 'card' in your notebook like you can with many desktop PC's.

On most notebooks, the GPU's are part of the system board.

Dedicated GPU's have a graphics memory system separate from the PC's memory system, and can also use some of that system memory if necessary.

So in order to have a dedicated graphics system in your notebook, the entire motherboard would have to be replaced with one listed in the service manual that has the switchable graphics feature.

Doing this would be very costly and labor intensive.

Only the most expensive HP business mobile workstations may still have various graphics cards offered.

Philner
5 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Paul, thanks for the answer.  I had a feeling that was the case.  I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Phil

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
109,651 99,828 15,580 23,940
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You're very welcome, Phil.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation