Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 14-cf2502sa - i5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All, 

Not managed to diagnose this issue to date!

Basically i purchased a new Laptop which is an upgrade from windows 7 to Windows 10

Myself, my brother and my sister ALL have an HP Laptop which is windows 10 but various models

Given the laptop only has USB and HDMI port, i plugged in HDMI to HDMI from Laptop to External Monitor and nothing happens. It shows on Laptop it comes up with second screen but it doesn't do anything. there is F4 key which i prss and select extend and does nothing. Tried various HDMI Cables and does nothing
I have tried plugging my laptop into the TV and it DOES extend but just not my monitor

Now this is the same issue across all 3 laptops where plugging in HDMI from laptop to TV it extends but not for the monitor!

Please let me know your thoughts on how to rectify this issue

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Senseii 

Let me see if I have the story right ...

If you use the HDMI cable to connect any of the laptops to the TV, that works fine with the desktop being extendable, right?

But if you use the same HDMI cable to connect any of the laptops to the monitor, the laptops "see" the monitor but it is blank, right?

Have you gone into the monitor setup menu and confirmed that the HDMI input jack is selected?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Sorry my explanation may be slightly unclear. 

When I plug my laptop or my brothers or sisters (which are all HP Windows 10) to the TV via HDMI as there is no VGA port, it automatically extends. 

When I plug into my BenQ monitor, nothing happens and that is the same for all 3 laptops. On my Laptop it would show it has deteched an additional device plugged in but no matter what settings i've tried to adjust, the monitor is blank.

HP Recommended

@Senseii 

I understand what you are saying -- that the same monitor will not display for all these different laptops.

Thus clearly, it must be a problem solely with the monitor -- which is why I asked you to check the monitor on screen settings to confirm that it is using the HDMI port for input.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The buttons on the monitor do not allow me to adjust any settings without anything physically plugging into the monitor so I am unable to even adjust any settings on the monitor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.