Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 820 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am an experienced software developer specialized in graphics programming. My applications do need to run on lower-end Intel HD graphics hardware.

I currently own two computers:

- a late 2015 desktop computer with a i7-6700 processor (with Intel HD 530 graphics)
- a 2016 EliteBook 820 G3 laptop computer with a i5-6300U processor (with Intel HD 520 graphics)

Both computers have 16GB of central memory and both have the latest Intel HD driver, as well as the latest system BIOS. The laptop has the latest may 2021 BIOS (N75 v1.52).

On the desktop computer, when I use an OpenGL application allocating 260MB of video memory, things succeed and run fine.
On the laptop computer, even though my BIOS setting is "Video memory size: 512 MB", the same application fails to run, reporting that the maximum size of an OpenGL memory allocation is 128MB.

I wrote a program to check things, and the maximum memory block size reported by OpenGL indeed is 128MB, which is just insanely low, and does not match my BIOS setting anyway. The same program reports plenty of graphics memory on my desktop computer.

It is suggested that the BIOS of the laptop may be doing something wrong. What can I do to solve the problem? This is critical for me.

Thanks for your help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.