1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Chromebook 11 G3 Dim Screen

HP Chromebook 11 G3
Chrome OS

Hello!

I manage many HP G3's and have recenly come across an issue with the screen where it looks like the backlight is out.  

Sometimes, it's the cable.. sometimes(though rarely) It's the screen..

Most of the time, I will replace all of that and it is still dim.  This leads me to believe it is  a motherboard issue.  Is there any guidance/support/suggestions from HP or anyone else on this issue?  

Any help will be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Cirrus09

3 REPLIES 3
mililani
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's usually the system board.  Contact HP support if its under warranty and have them replace those.  I always send them in if the display is dim with no back light.

0 Kudos
hbarnes88
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I work for a school district repairing Chromebooks and the only way to fix the issue is to replace both the system board and the video cable. I contacted HP to see if there was a workaround but there isn't.  This is what the tech chat person said " We haven't come up with any workaround, the only solution is the system board replacement in case of Chromebooks"

Highlighted
iamxquisite
Level 2
6 6 0 5
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I work at an elementary school that uses this line of Chromebooks and the G3 version is prone to this problem. The most common problems are backlight, SSD failure, or broken headphone jacks.

Working for the school gives me the luxury of having known good Chromebooks that have a functioning backlight. With the multimeter on diode mode, I was testing both the known good board and the bad board to try to find something that didn't look normal. I eventually came across a capacitor that was showing Open Line (OL) reading on the bad board but was showing something different on the known good board. Right next to that capacitor there is a brown fuse with the letter "N" on it. I went ahead and unsoldered this fuse and replaced it with a small gauge wire. This was just to see if the capacitor would still show OL reading on the multimeter. After replacing with the wire the capacitor no longer showed OL and looked similar to the known good board. I connected the LCD and DC jack to the Chromebook and there was now a working backlight. (This is just a workaround and the wire should not be used permanently.)

Since the SSD is a soldered chip on the motherboard and I'm not comfortable with replacing it. I just take the fuse from the Chromebook with the faulty SSD and use it for one with the backlight issue.

Heads up there are also some screens that lose the backlight themselves and it has nothing to do with the main motherboard. Each screen comes with a little logic board that can also fail and lose the backlight. When testing, be sure to have a known good screen in order to see if its the screen or the motherboard fuse.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation