Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j170us Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have lost touch screen capabilities all original HP software that came with my  

HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j170us Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

after a clean install of Windows 10 Home. I have updated all the drivers to no avail of fixing the issue. I would greatly appreciate help in how to get the software that came with my PC, the Beats by Dre that came with my PC, and touch screen capab ility  back. I do not know what to do. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DylanGodfrey 

Your machine came with Windows 8.1. Please use drivers from the following for Windows 10

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-15-Notebook-PC-series/5401191/model/6787769

Specially for Beats, please try

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71886.exe

or older

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71717.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I actually had a Microsoft customer support representative do the clean install. The original issues arose when a custom install of Windows 10 Educational Edition was done by a Microsoft Tech Support representative. Since the issues only escalated from there and support was not available due to it being a "Commercial" product requiring commercial support I had them Clean Install Windows 10 Home. I have updated the drivers, completely. All on the exact page you linked to. I still do not have a functionable touch screen. And it was completely functioning before the custom install was done of Educational. and I still have no way of getting back any of the software from HP my computer came with. As I said, I have downloaded all of those drivers and BIOS and Firmware. The representative did all of that trying to get the touch screen working again. Every step that could be taken and is available from the HP website has been done. Beats by Dre is now working on my device after reinstalling the driver. When I installed an updated version of the Beats driver other than listed on the Windows 10 page of my PC's drivers as suggested by another agent, The computer showed multiple errors when trying to render audio on youtube etc where the screen displayed Error Rendering Audio. Since the install of the correct Driver for that, I have Beats by Dre but the Master Audio Control only increases volume to the headset output, but I can increase the volume via the speakers option and that is what is increased when I hit the windows key for volume so That specific issue has been fixed. But the touch screen, and the original device software I do not have. Even after installation of all the drivers listed. and Windows updates of those drivers after the clean installation. 

HP Recommended

When I say clean install I mean they had to use an entirely new product key for windows 10 Home. that they had to provide for free because one of their reps caused my OS to become corrupted after the custom installation of Windows 10 educational. The issue began after the custom installation of Win 10 educational. And in attempting to fix it by doing another custom install they corrupted the OS copying the C drive over to my onedrive in an attempt to do a backup before they installed Educational again. Then I was told that because Educational is a "commercial" product from microsoft I would have to pay them 500$ to fix the OS they corrupted. So rather than that, the microsoft rep got permission from a supervisor to give me a new product key for a clean install of Win 10 Home edition to get me back to a point where they could troubleshoot the original issue. And even after the clean win 10 install and updating ALL my drivers I 1. Can't run the Wizard from HP support assistant on retrieval of original software. And 2. While I now have a functioning HP AC Power Adapter. And Beats by Dre and.. Supposedly energystar compliancy reinstalled though I see no icon for that only that its listed under apps/devices. I also have the HP hardware diagnostic both UEFI or whatever its called when you do it in the boot menu and the HP PC hardware diag. Tool. My fingerprint scanner is functionable. I have System Event Utility and HP support assistant again... But System Event Utility has shown nothing. And Support assistant is only half working as, stated later on, it will not retrieve the original software and gives me a "error 404 content can not be loaded" every time I click the troubleshooter for original software. I want my software I paid for back. And I want the touch screen capabilities I paid for back. I've read the forums and I'm not the only one thats ran into this issue with this model laptop after an upgrade to a higher Win 10 OS and/or when a clean install is done. In fact I've seen dozens of posts go unresolved with these particular issues. Which is why im being so detailed. 

HP Recommended

I also want to add that when I attempt to update my firmware the seagate installation window will reach the page where it says begin firmware update, once I click the button that says begin the installation window goes to "not responding" then gives me a message stating that one component is missing and it can't initialize the firmware update. 

HP Recommended

Also would like to add that though the AMD drivers are up to date I do not have the AMD Catalyst software that was supposed to come with the drivers for control over graphics and such. I myself am a programmer and a gamer and being able to control graphics settings on my high end laptop is a must.  Basically I have the correct drivers, but none of the software that is supposed to come with individual drivers aside from the Beats By Dre... And I have none of the original HP software that came with my PC to begin with and even the software that I do have from the driver/software page of my device  isn't completely functioning, as listed above and below. The last rep was very rude because when I posted I was angry and swore at him because I've been trying to get this fixed since the 25th of october. He told me to pay for a clean repair disk dating back to Win 8.1 which is what my device originally came with. But I dont see how that would help when I'm running Win 10 home 

HP Recommended

At this point I'm willing to Teamviewer or something with someone so that they can trouble shoot it from the HP support community. Because HP wants 15$ to even remote access my device to TRY to fix what the microsoft technical support rep messed up... I don't think it's fair that I will have to pay out of pocket for HP to fix what a literal Microsoft Tech Support rep from their call center did to mess up my device the way they have. While yes they did give me a free 40$ product key to revert back to Win 10 Home that really means nothing to me when thats what my device came with to begin with after I updated from Win 8 years ago. It didn't fix the problem. And now I have no actual backup of the old files to even attempt a dig and retrieval of the software due to the clean install having to be done. And even after the rep did everything I have listed my device still has little to no original HP software aside from whats listed. They ended up telling me I HAVE to contact HP because they literally could not fix the touch screen or get the software back aside from whats listed. Only HP or their forums would have the required software drivers and know-how on how to get my touch screen working. Which, for clarifications sake, the hardware on the touch screen is NOT damaged in any way. In fact, HP hardware diagnostics and Microsoft pen and touch both do not even detect that I have a touch screen. Before the custom install was done of Win 10 educational I had NONE of these problems. 

HP Recommended

I don't know if replying to the thread replys to you or justs adds to the forum post so I'm trying a direct reply to your answer. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.