wokitsu
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Clicking desktop icons does not work on HP Stream 11

HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot open programs by left-clicking or double-clicking icons on the Windows desktop or within folder windows in File Explorer. My current work-around is to right click and scroll to the "Open" command. I own 2 HP Stream 11's. The problem started on both computers at the same time. I have the original Windows 10.0 ( Build 10240) on one computer and Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14391.693) on the other. Was there a recent update that caused this problem?

3 REPLIES 3
visruth
Level 15
13,019 12,947 1,700 3,967
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi,

Download and merge the .reg files for the listed Folder and Directory items in Option 2 of this tutorial.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-default-file-type-associations-restore-windows-10-a.html

They will restore the default associations and registry entries for folders.

If no luck, do a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened to undo the cause.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

Still no luck,
Repair install may be able to sort it for you (don't worry it'll not remove any of your data or programs):
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Regards

Visruth

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
wokitsu
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The first solution, resetting default applications did not work. I tried resetting just the Folders app default, and then all apps, restarted the computer, but no difference. Same non-result occurred on the second computer.

The second solution was not applicable. I had never done a system restore previously. I don't think I could have if I wanted to, given I had only a few gigabytes of space availalbe when I bought the HP Streams brand new.

The third solution, doing a repair install, is  something I'm reluctant to do with a tiny disk drive . ..  I foresee hours of seing messages thatI don't have room to do it. I'd rather buy another computer. In fact, that's why I have two HP Streams, I could never update the first one beyond the original Windows 10 version. My second HP Stream has Windows 10 Version 1607.

Both have the same problem so I know it's not a hardware problem. Is there some kind of Touchpad driver update that will solve this?

visruth
Level 15
13,019 12,947 1,700 3,967
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No I don't think so.

Third option just repairs the OS and registries of corrupt entries. It'll not reinstall OS.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation