Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-u163cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product: HP ENVY - 17-u163cl Notebook

Product No.: W2K93UAR#ABA

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit, x64-based processor)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX Version 398.36

External Ports: 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C (DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 3 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge); 1 HDMI; 1 RJ-45

Hi there!  I would like to set up my HP ENVY 17 in a way so that it is connected to 2 external monitors while still using the laptop display itself, as a third, allowing me a triple monitor setup.  However, I can't find the maximum amount of monitors the device supports anywhere that indicate that it supports alt-mode display.  With past laptops, I used a splitter HDMI to VGA for the triple monitor setup.  However, the graphics card specifically stated multi monitor support... I can't find it on this one.  When checking the Intel HD Graphics and the GeForce 940MX Control Panels on the Envy, they show only current setting with the one external monitor (dual monitor set-up).  Thus far, I have a single port HDMI to VGA adapter for one external VGA monitor.  Before I buy another splitter or other type of display adapter and try to add an additional monitor; I need to ensure I can connect a second external monitor.  In addition, the device has a HDMI-port, and a USB Type C port. I wish to know if I can use just any USB Type C to VGA converter for one of the two monitors.  Any suggestions are SUPER appreciated!

Cheers!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@GingerQueen 

From your list, machine has 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C (DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge) which does not support video out therefore the best option is to use USB 3.1 type A ports for one of the following adapters to get 2 external monitors.

https://www.displaylink.com/products/find?cat=3&res=1920x1080&num=2&maxd=3&vid_hdmi=1

Using a splitter will give you 2 monitors but duplicated only.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Isn't DP 1.2 for Display port which is suppose to support video? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.