Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I connected three monitors to laptop via a 4K HDMI 4-Port Splitter.Monitors all turn on. Laptop is monitor #1. The three external monitors show up as #2 and are duplicate view. How can I make them extended mode to view different screens on each?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks - that gives the information needed.

You have one HDMI port, so connect one external monitor to that. There is no DisplayPort functionality (including DisplayPort alternate mode on USB-C) or Thunderbolt, so you cannot connect the other two monitors to the internal GPU via normal means.

Probably your best option is to get a DisplayLink device, which connects to a USB 3 port and will give you two HDMI ports (assuming you select one that is dual monitor capable). A DisplayLink does not have the power of a GPU, but it is the only option you have and will be perfectly adequate for normal productivity uses. If you want to watch video or use 3D graphics, it would be best to use the monitor connected to the internal GPU via the system's HDMI port.

Details on DisplayLink products can be found here (click).

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

A HDMI splitter displays the same picture on each of its outputs.

If you post the model of your HP notebook and what resolutions the external monitors are, we can advise you of your options. However, there are very few systems that support three external monitors driven from the internal GPU - and I don't think any support three external monitors at 4K driven from the internal GPU as there simply isn't enough bandwidth even on a Thunderbolt 3 dock setup.

HP Recommended
Not sure the model for my laptop but here are the specs; AMD A10-9600P Radeon R5, 10 compute Cores 4C +6G 2.40 GHz, 6.00 Ram, 64-bit, x64-based processor. Windows 10-home.
Monitor 1- HDMI 1080P 67KHZ 60Hz.
Monitor 2-HDMI 1920x1080 68KHz 60Hz. Monitor 3- HDMI 1920x1080 75Hz.
All are 24 inch LCD. I hope this helps.
HP Recommended

Follow these instructions (click) and post your product number. Do not post your serial number, as that will not help in resolving your query and it would break the forum rule on posting personally identifying information.

HP Recommended

Model # 15-ba079dx. Product# W2M88UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Thanks - that gives the information needed.

You have one HDMI port, so connect one external monitor to that. There is no DisplayPort functionality (including DisplayPort alternate mode on USB-C) or Thunderbolt, so you cannot connect the other two monitors to the internal GPU via normal means.

Probably your best option is to get a DisplayLink device, which connects to a USB 3 port and will give you two HDMI ports (assuming you select one that is dual monitor capable). A DisplayLink does not have the power of a GPU, but it is the only option you have and will be perfectly adequate for normal productivity uses. If you want to watch video or use 3D graphics, it would be best to use the monitor connected to the internal GPU via the system's HDMI port.

Details on DisplayLink products can be found here (click).

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help! It worked!  All three monitors are connected and working on extendended desktop mode. I purchases a USB 3.0 to Dual HDMI Multi-Monitor Adapter (no power required) to connect two monitors and the third is connected directly to the laptop's HDMI port. 

HP Recommended

which product did you get?

HP Recommended

my laptop does not detect 3rd monitor.  connecting 3rd monitor through HDMI adapter to USB

HP Recommended

@timtim12b,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need the exact model and the product number of your computer.

Follow the steps in the below article to find the product details.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.