Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac041tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Try as I may I am unable to get my Laptop to connect to an external monitor. I have even used the USB-C to HDMI that actually came with the laptop. This has driven me insane.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Gyroman Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to connect the external monitor.

Have you tried with both USB C port?

Please perform the Thunderbolt test and let us know.

1. Power off the PC and make sure that it is completely powered off.

2. Press the power button and the moment you press the power button immediately start tapping F2 key, you should see the system diagnostics screen.

3. Look for the component test, under that all the hardware will be listed, please choose Thunderbolt and initiate the quick test.

Note: If it fails it will generate a 24 digits alphanumeric failure id, please capture that.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen, 

Thank you for the detailed response.

I completed thunderbolt test and it passed with no issue. After hours of trying to make the dock work I took a hail Mary pass when I found the adapter in the box of the hp doc for the USB-A, So I tried that and it work. I have no idea why but it does. Am I to understand that try as I may it will never work in either of the thunderbolts supplied on my laptop?

HP Recommended

@Gyroman

I understand your concerns.

Please uninstall the USB host controller from the device manager and then try to update the BIOS.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I followed your advice and it worked. The dock is now running on the USB-C thunderbolt port however the dock was listed in file explorer  when on USB-A and now is no longer listed and my wireless keyboard doesn't worked when plugged into the dock.

HP Recommended

@Gyroman

Please let us know which brand docking station you are using.

Is it compatible with your computer?

Please provide the product number of the docking station.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I spoke directly to HP before I purchased the dock to check its compatibility. They are the ones who advised to purchase the dock.

https://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Y0K80AA&opt=&sel=ACC

My Laptop is the  HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac041tu with 2 HP Monitors.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/hp-27-inch-27fw-full-hd-ips-backlit-monitor.html and  https://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=3ML05AA&opt=&sel=ACC

I made sure everything was compatible and spoke to HP directly for all the devices.

HP Recommended

@Gyroman

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

So I have tried everything under the sun to get the USB-C docking station to work. Updated BIOS update thunderbolt etc etc Run diagnostic and still nothing. I contact HP support  and they have been absolutely useless.

This is my laptop 

HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac041tu 

The dock is plugged onto the normal USB as neither of the Thunderbolt ports seem to recognise anything. I am not sure how many times I have to message support to be told they will get back to me and never do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.