Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cracked Touchscreen

HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I finished my work, laid my laptop next to my bed and closed the lid. I was shocked in the morning when I heard a "snap" upon openning the lid to find a diagonal crack extending from the microphone hole at the top and ends bottom near the lower right corner of the screen.
The LCD part isn't broken, just the glass covering it so the touch won't work. So it needs to be fixed.
I talked to the customer support and they said they can't help me, and this was my fault. Well, Yeah is it my fault to open it ?! Apparently opening the screen is too much for this fragile laptop. It's actually was my fault from the beginning for purchasing HP laptop again, I did nothing to the screen except open it.
It's really problematic product where I I paid around 500$ last time to replace the cracked screen when they also said that it's "Accidental Damage", and struggled with the popular left hinge problem before, and now is this ... There is something wrong with this screen.
I didn't abuse the computer as I did not slam my PC or throw it against something, just opened the lid like I do every day. This shouldn't happen.
and if they saw it, they'd know.
it's not the first problem and it's not the first hp laptop, but apparently it's the last one.

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
38959 38774 5976 10410
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cracked Touchscreen

There is no way to explain this other than to say nobody else was there when it happened and the warranty people just assume there is no physical way to crack a laptop screen except by hitting it or applying external force. I am not sure how valid that is, but look at it from the company's perspecive. If they liberalize their policy, everyone who accidentally closes the screen on a foreign object or drops something on the screen, or otherwise accidentally breaks it could make a claim. They have to either do it for everybody, which raises the price of the laptop, or do it for nobody which leads to lots of Forum posts like this one. You can stop buying HP laptops. Your choice, but all other laptop makers take the same approach to this issue, even Apple. 

Happy to help if you want to track down the best price on a replacement and try to do the repair yourself. This Forum is staffed with volunteer end users, not HP employees on the clock. That is all we can do. Sorry. 

0 Kudos
Rabea007 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cracked Touchscreen

I really appreciate your reply and I completely understand your point. I paid around 500$ first time the screen cracked 6 months ago, because I really looked at this issue from the company's perspective. When I just pulled up my laptop from my safe backpack to find the cracked screen upon openning. But it's the second time and the laptop wasn't even in a backpack this time...
Well, try to look at it from the customer's perspective this time. I didn't expect a fragile laptop when I paid 1400$ , and I didn't expect to pay another 1400$ to fix it also... I'd rather pay this amount of money for a tougher and better laptop that does not crack upon openning ( A laptop like the Macbook pro no need to use the Applecare or even to ask Apple to replace their tough screens because it has been designed for the comfortable use and smooth openning, you can open it using only one hand).
Beleive me, I'm waiting eagerly for the comming macbook pro.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38959 38774 5976 10410
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cracked Touchscreen

Laptops are the very definition of fragility and the MacBook Pro is no exception, but enjoy and be careful. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation