cancel
Conqueror Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DV6t-7000 Quad Help with Geforce 650m switchable graphics

Hi just got my new laptop yesterday , DV6t-7000, and before posting my problem I've search everywhere include these forums for a solution. 

I've all ready updated the bios, and updated the 650m with the newest drivers from HP's website.  I know that in the bios under "system configuration" there should be an option to change from "dynamic" to "fixed" graphics, but that option isn't there.  Was looking forward to using this laptop for gaming, but was thinking that since I'm still within my 21 days that I should just return the laptop and maybe wait until they fix this issue.

24 REPLIES 24
Conqueror Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

still hoping, looking for a solution

0 Kudos
Conqueror Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cant' be the only one with this problem, hope HP is looking into this.

0 Kudos
Conqueror Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still looking for some help.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
16 15 1 3
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are not sir. I have the dv7t-7000 and as far as I can tell I can't even use the nvidia board. Have you figured out how to use anything except the intel 4000 chip?

0 Kudos
Conqueror Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope still cant use my 650m card and Ive tried everything I can think of.

Well glad im not the only one and at least somebody from HP has responded to your posted thread NightFlight. Guess we should wait.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
16 15 1 3
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again,

I have been busy but since you and I both have the same setup, you minus 2 inches of screen real estate; I will explain what I have found to be the answer. HP laptops of the past with ATI graphics (which apparently have mega issues) have what is considered FIXED and DYNAMIC switchable graphics (in the sense that the user can physically turn one card or another on and off, sometimes?) The new HP laptops DO NOT have this capability, they have DYNAMIC switchable graphics. I cannot even begin to provide you with any links for this information but I can tell you my results. If you want to test JUST the Nvidia GT 650M you can download a free program called FluidMark, It will show you that the card is actually working (decently I might add.) If you want to really test the laptop thoroughly, I suggest you spend a few bucks on Si Software Sandra (worth every penny so you can check everything under your hood.) You will find this very interesting, With Sandra I tested each card individually AND there was an option that listed both together as Nvidia 650m/Intel 4000 3.6GB, it gave the best result and all I could come up with; is that it was running in crossfire. In the problematic ATI threads there is a list of OpenGL programs that will NOT run on those machines. I have several of those programs and games that I not only ran but tested and they ALL work perfectly. I have reserved myself to the fact that I do NOT need the FIXED part of the switchable graphics because HP and NVidia have succeeded in the DYNAMIC graphics driver (I think this is why HP dumped ATI for Nvidia.) I hope this has solved your issue (please get the programs, another one is AIDA64; but not as thorough for benchmarking.) If this has shown you the way and has helped, please give me some kudos.

lennardgoh Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey so are you saying that by default it is running in crossfire mode and we dont have to worry abotu anything despite the gfx card not appearing anywhere?

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
980 934 45 145
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi all,

Yes this is an interesting chipset and exciting as well, it ships in dynamic mode but has the ability to set certain applications to a fixed style mode using the graphics settings

Check out this link http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/features

Since gaming sounds like your thing the "NVIDIA® PhysX® Technology" should be of great interest to you.

Look to HP.com, they should have a document out on these graphics soon, and you're right, no Open GL issues :generic:

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
16 15 1 3
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes on the crossfire, the benchmarks show an option to run BOTH cards together or test them individually. The Intel 4000 benches the weakest, the Nvidia is much faster and together they have the best scores. NO, on not showing up anywhere; the Nvidia should be correctly displayed in device manager under display adapters. So should the intel 4000; both should be in there. Occasionally when I check in device manager the Nvidia has changed to 'standard VGA adapter', I have not looked into this as of yet but a reboot corrects it. I am not using my laptop to game, it is an HTPC and I am using the Intel WiDi feature with both my LG 55" HDTV and a smaller Samsung 24" HDTV on the WiDi next to my lounger so I can use the laptop while I or the wife can watch TV or game on the PS3 etc... Both cards should show in device manager, if not you may have an issue.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation