Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Laptop has been working fine. I fire it up this morning and I have a dark smudge - like a grey cloud (can see through it to what is on the screen), starting at the bottom of the screen in the middle, and working its way up the screen. Fine on both sides.   Everything is working, and I can still see all that is being displayed, I'm just having to look through the smudge at anything that is in the center at the bottom of the screen. Anyone any idea if this is Fixable at home, or if this looks like something that the Warranty will need to deal with? Many thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Mellers

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need the product number and the exact model for your computer.

Follow the steps in the below article to find the product details.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there. Thanks for having a look for me. Model of notebook is Hp Pavilion -CWNA. Product Number is 7JW89EA#ABU

Thanks

HP Recommended

SHould have read -CW1012NA

HP Recommended

@Mellers

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-cw1000-laptop-pc/26183458/model/2969...

If you continue facing the issue, then boot to BIOS by tapping the F10 key on startup and check whether you are able to duplicate the issue on the BIOS screen.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Appreciate the ideas. I updated the drivers you suggested, but I'm still seeing the same shadow rising up from the bottom of the screen at the moment. 

HP Recommended

@Mellers Here's what you need to do, to identify the issue and resolve it accordingly:

• If not done already, check if it works fine on the BIOS screen to identify if it's either a hardware or a software issue:
    • If it works fine on the BIOS (Accessed while tapping F10 during a restart) it's a software issue & I suggest attaching an alternate monitor to your device and creating a new user account to check if that works better, for starters)
    • However, if it doesn't work within the BIOS either, I'm afraid it's a hardware malfunction.

While you respond to that, I have a few more steps that should help: 

Perform a power reset (no data loss) using these steps: Click here, proceed to next step if this works

Attempt to run a test from the HP hardware diagnostic tool, using this link: Click here for details.

If the issue appears on the diagnostics, it could again, determine a hardware failure,

If they don't appear on bios & the hardware tests passed: please update the BIOS & Chip-set drivers from the HP website using this link: Click here

if the issue persists, reinstall windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue,
use this link for details on performing the recovery: Click here

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions. I probably don`t have the technical skills to carry out most of what you describe. Just was hoping to use the brand new laptop out the box - I already had an audio driver issue with this machine already. I did the diagnostic tests, all passed. I pressed f10 on startup - not sure what I`m looking at, but the shadow remains on the screen. Plugged in an external monitor and all is absolutely fine on there, so will conclude not a software error, but a hardware problem, which I guess means having to attempt to get this sorted under warranty. 

HP Recommended

@Mellers 

I recommend you contact support as it looks like a hardware issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.